Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a broken wire sticking out from the top of the tailgate on our Clio (2004, 54 plate). Initially, I thought it might be something to do with fact that the rear demister doesn't work, although I think it's more likely that the rear demister doesn't work because the elements on the screen are all bad (last owner had a dog!).

Anyways, having traced it back I'm not sure what to make of it.

Looking at the tailgate with the tailgate open, its a black cable that seems to be a part of the bunch of cables going through the right hand grommet. I have, however, been able to assign all the cables in that grommet to the various components (except that there should be two black wires going to the same point in the plug for the rear wiper, but I can only see one in the loom, however, the two black wires in the plug are the same thickness, whereas the broken wire is thicker).

Tracking the broken wire back, it travels across the roof and seems to be a completely independent wire so I believe it was added to the loom at some point later. It travels down the passenger side and up behind the glove box. Thing is, its not attached to anything and looks like some sort of antenna plug at that end.

The car did have a black box fitted before we bought it, but that was attached to the battery itself and the cable doesn't seem to be long enough to be able to reach that anyway, and from memory I don't this it had a place for attaching an antenna anyway. What could it possibly be? I've attached a picture below of the connector:

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,315 Posts
Could it have been an antenna connection for a retrofit mobile phone. Maybe stuck on the rear screen. Any signs on the rear screen of something being removed, a few square cm in size

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,825 Posts
Looking like an antenna cable here

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Definitely looks like an antenna cable of some sorts. The only thing I've found in the boot of the car is a black approx 2cm x 2cm 'thing' with what looks like a hook at the other end. Could this be a phone antenna? I'll try to take a pic of it later, but from memory I don't recall any wires coming off that. No other signs of externally attached items unless the panel / glass it was fitted to have been removed / replaced. The panel on top on the tailgate is removable so that would have been the easiest to replace and not the tailgate screen I suppose

1 - 4 of 4 Posts