Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from "LO" :)

After 6 weeks of hunting the auctions and local rags I "think" we have found a good little car for Mrs L20 but thought it wise to ask here for tips on what to look out for in terms of a diesel car ( as I have never owned one )..

Car is a 1994 - 306D 1.9 with 100k on the clock..

Bodywork, suspension, tyres etc I have checked but I have no clue when it comes to checking the engine side of things.

All I can say is that the glow plugs took about 20secs to warm up before I started it from cold and she fired up first time with no black smoke. She pulls well but have noticed a minor oil leak from the sump nut. Sump nut is not rounded off so presumably the washer was not changed last time around.

Other than that it has no radio code ( not sure how easy this is to sort ) - And the other fault is the indicators seem to intermittantly work when pulling the stalk down ( as if to turn left ) not sure if this is the stalk itself as the bulbs are fine.

Anyhow hoping some of you MOT testers and diesel heads can help - any advice gratefully received..

Regards

L20 ( On behalf of the Mrs )

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
20 secs for glow plugs does seem rather a long time - even in extremeley cold weather.
Modern common rail diesels hardly need any preheating even in cold weather.Whilst not a common rail engine I would think that the 306 non turbo 1.9 would only need about 5 seconds tops on a cold day. We had a a clio 1.9 (non turbo) diesel a few years ago and glow plug light went out after approx 5 secs. You may need a new set of glow plugs.
Oil changes should be every 6,000 miles & fuel filters need regular replacing/cleaning.

Radio code should be quite readily obtained from a Peugeot deaelr, depending on how friendly they are you may not have to pay or they may charge up to £20!!!!
Alternatively there are people out there that can "decode" your radio but I would be a bit dubious about this.

Indicator problem sounds like the switch - they are usually an integral part of the stalk, although sometimes you can get switches separately. I would be inclined to buy a new one, as a secondhand one from a breakers is also likely to be worn.

100k is not high mileage for a diesel so as long as oil has been changed regularly it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Hi L2O

The Pug 306 is a cracking second hand car to buy and from my experiences they are generaly reliable. :) :) :)
The only thing I do know is that they do tend to be prone to oil leaks (rocker cover box)

Also be aware of the heater matrix. Origianal Peugeot ones tend to leak after quite a short period of time and to change it means taking out the complete dash. :(

Not too hard a job but it is not one to be taken too lightly.

100k as sport tourer said is quite a low milage for a 12 year old car and from what you have said I thing you should be onto a winner. :) :) :)

Good luck. Regards oilyrag.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello L2O,
The 306 is,as Oily says,is a cracking second hand buy.I did outline some points to remember some time ago on another thread,but I'll go over some more in depth stuff now.Points to look at are;
Check the rear axle for wear.The tell tell sign is on level ground,check to see if the wheels are angled in at the top.This will indicate that the rear radius arm bearings are worn,and the only real option is to find a good second hand axle.These are becomming more and more scarce but are available for £100 from a breakers.In extreme cases the bearings can wear bad enough to let the wheel rub on the inside of the wheelarch.
The front suspension bushes are a bit of a weak point,but they are available cheaply and are an easy DIY repair.I can strongly advise you to use Genuine bushes only,as they're a similar price to aftermarket parts and are far stronger/longer lasting.Check for steering wander(Front wishbone front bushes).To check front wishbone rear bushes park the car with the handbrake on and try and push the front wheels back with your foot.If they're gone you will notice the wheel rock backwards and fowards in the wheel arch.
Make sure the cambelt was changed at 72k,if in any doubt CHANGE IT!
Wiper motor faults are common.If the self park or intermittant settings play up,it'll be the motor.Again an easy DIY repair,motors are around £80 from Peugeot,£25 for a good second hand one.
In general the non turbo motor and gearbox are bullet proof,although driveshaft problems are not completely unheard of.
Interiors are a little fragile,squeaks and rattles come as standard!.Bin the standard radio,they're a complete waste of time.Watch for water leaks around the rear lights and the door panel seals.
The main thing with the early 306's is they are simple to work on,and a man of your calibre could attempt nearly all repair jobs needed.
Anymore info or questions PM me,and most of all,Good Luck with it!!.(P.S.The glowplugs don't need 20 secs to warm up,check the timer relay)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys - your a knowledgeable crowd indeed..

Radio decode from local Pug Dealer is £30 !! plus vat so maybe a new headunit for £60 would be a fine idea..

Throttle cable is £30.20 + VAT so trimming the cable and reattaching the nipple is my best option me finks..

Anyhow, enough waffling, I will not turn this into Pug 306 .net.

Cheers for the pointers guys.. Will let you know if any of your points rang true with this car..

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As a return favour..

And for anyone else with a 306 and the Clarion Stereo with no code problem please find attached stereo code program..

Just enter the last four digits from the lower of the two bar codes on the stereo chasis.

The serial number you need starts with C700..

Save yourselves £35 from main dealers..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts