Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to see a clio mk 4 2017 dynamique s nav dci 1.5 90 auto this week. I have sort of fallen in love with the car already from the photos but I've driven a manual cilo as a courtesy car for a day. Is their anything I should look for when inspecting the car or any common issues that I should ask about/check for? It has only done 13000 miles and has full service history.

Thank you 馃槉

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
Car that age there should be no real issues but give it a good look over for any signs that it has not been as well looked after as it should or if mileage may have been fiddled.... the latter is often apparent with wear on seats, pedal rubbers or mats.
Check and see if the service history shows what has been changed.
It should have had some oil changes, it is due coolant change, should have had brake fluid change.
Will be needing a cam belt change next year (6 years or 72K whichever is soonest)
Check MOT history, especially any advisories and give them a good look at. Does the mileage tie up?
Check fluid condition, coolant and brake fluid should be clear colour, not murky, oil should be cleanish and not feel gritty if you rub it between fingers.
Tyre condition, especially uneven wear that could suggest suspension issues.
Check all the internal gizmos work, AC, Radio, bluetooth, Sat Nav, etc all windows, central locking (two sets of keys that both work) and that the mechanical key(s) work in the door locks.
Test drive, I assume a 6 speed EDC gearbox (automatic shift manual box). See if it is changing smoothly, at revs you expect and no bangs or clunks.
Check for any damp inside, carpets, boot etc, has it a spare and if so in good nick, if a pump and bottle of gunge, is the gunge within its use by date.... jack etc if it has got a spare.
If alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts, got the security key and does it fit?
If from a dealer, get them to service including an oil change, coolant and brake fluid if you can persuade them.
12 months MOT unless it has a long one on it. Sort any dings or scratches as well.
If a Renault dealer, get them to check for any software updates, not only on the ECU and Gearbox but also Satnav (if applicable)
Negotiate on price, aim is to get 10% off, never pay sticker price.
Even though you love it be prepared to walk away if it doesn't seem right.

Super mod..
Knowing full well that the clio's have a sketchy history and problems I would invest in either an RAC or AA check.. they will go over the car and tell you what they find where a dealer wont.. the car has low miles for the year and may have been sold on because its having problems.. never fall in love with a car and impulse buy its a disaster waiting to happen..

Premium Member
We have a 2017 petrol Clio (our 4th Clio of various models!), with 29,000 miles, so I can't comment on the engine side, but at that age and mileage it should be perfect bodily, and mechanically too. Ours is still on the original tyres, so that one should be too. Service can be up to every 18,000 miles on the petrol , don't know about diesel , but you may only see 1 or 2 major services in the book.

I've not had much trouble at all, I had to have a door sensor replaced (under warranty), so I'd check that the central/keyless locking all works, and the auto wipers can be a bit random, sometimes not coming on as soon as you'd like, and sometimes wiping an almost dry screen, so if it's raining maybe try those......

My drivers seat belt has a slight fray on the edge - I think it was probably caused by a jacket zip, but have a wee look...

Otherwise, like the other three, its been a great car, and definitely the best looking so far.

By the way, Phil hates Renaults! He'll tell me off for that now. 馃お

But he is right, an AA or RAC inspection is a good idea, especially if buying privately, or from a small dealer with no real warranty.

Good luck!

Super mod..
By the way, Phil hates Renaults! He'll tell me off for that now. 馃お

But he is right, an AA or RAC inspection is a good idea, especially if buying privately, or from a small dealer with no real warranty.

Good luck!
Nah not going to tell you off at all.. just send you to the sin bin 馃槅 .. the inspection part of my post applies to any car.. dont trust anyone ..

Registered
I have a Clio MK4 DCi model. Other than what others have said. Really check the suspension springs over. They are really common for snapping or corroding to the point of snapping. If either of these are obvious to you when you view it. Either stay well away, or lower the seller down at least the cost of new shocks, springs and top mounts and bushings. They will easily throw you over 拢300-500 depending on where you purchase. This is for OEM of course.

My spring on the drivers side snapped within 30k miles. It's only been drove around North Wales. I know pot holes don't help. But the Clio MK4 is renown for spring failure. Check common MOT failures.

When I get home, I'll try and post my video of finding my spring snapped.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much everyone 馃挆 really useful info.
It's from Arnold Clark and should of have a full check. All Mot's have been clear and think it has full service history not sure if with renault but will check.
I'm just so fed up with my fiesta that leaks so much it now has a swimming 馃強鈥嶁檪锔 pool in the boot and the gear box is made of chocolate.

Someone told me that I need to push on the bonnet to see it bounces or drive over speed bumps, it that to do with the springs ?

Registered
It's from Arnold Clark and should of have a full check. All Mot's have been clear and think it has full service history not sure if with renault but will check.
I'm just so fed up with my fiesta that leaks so much it now has a swimming 馃強鈥嶁檪锔 pool in the boot and the gear box is made of chocolate.

Someone told me that I need to push on the bonnet to see it bounces or drive over speed bumps, it that to do with the springs ?
Yes. If the car bounces more than once, then the shocks or springs are on the way out of the car, going out for a drink with each other.

Super mod..

OH MY GOD Arnold Clark aka An4l Crack.. a dealer with one of the worst records and number of complaints.. now that does send shock waves right through me..

Premium Member
Ha! Ha! Arnold Clark have a poor reputation..... but I've still bought a lot of cars off them, new, pre-registered and used, and never had a problem!!

At the low mileage you mentioned, surely there should be nothing to worry about on shocks and springs.... hope it's as good as it sounds, and you snap it up!! ;)

Super mod..
At the low mileage you mentioned, surely there should be nothing to worry about on shocks and springs.... hope it's as good as it sounds, and you snap it up!! ;)
You cracked a funny ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.. 馃槅

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
More towards whether the shocks are working as they should.... the bounce test should let the car come back up and stop... not keep bouncing, try on each corner, not just the front. Not that I would expect shocks to have failed at that mileage.
Similar on the speed bumps, should be a solid "thud" and no afterbounce...and no rattles or clanks.
Don't push in the middle of the bonnet...they are made of tin foil and you will dent it.

Super mod..
Don't push in the middle of the bonnet...they are made of tin foil and you will dent it.
And be careful when pushing to hard on the front wings because they are made of PLASTIC !!!

Registered
Lift the bonnet up and push the the bonnet shut plastic. Especially near the inner corners of the headlights.

Another dealership that has a bad rep is WR Davies. They got caught scamming customers on used vehicles over here in Llandudno Junction. Selling cars with known suspension problems and engine leaks. They got caught slapping MOT's on used cars which were unsafe for roads. That's how reliable dealerships are.

Lookers in chester is a good dealership. They'll take you for a full tour of any new or used vehicle. They will show you each part that they have replaced. So not bad in my eyes.

As promised, this is what I found once I got the vehicle home. The rotor and pads were also how the vehicle was sold. They're wear and tear so no worries on the brakes. The drop link appeared to have been changed. But how did they miss this snapped spring - Snapped spring

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
馃槀 馃ぃ made of tin and An4l Crack.
You are all are making me a bit scared 馃槰. Looking at the reviews for Arnold Clark it seems to be ever very good or hell on earth.
Just feeling a bit nervous as this is the first time I've brought a car on my own before.

Super mod..
Forearmed is forewarned Lou.. better you were told than not..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Completely agree 馃憤, I've now started a spreadsheet of things to check. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the car is all good but have kept looking just in case it does turn out to be a dud. 馃馃

Super mod..
Completely agree 馃憤, I've now started a spreadsheet of things to check. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the car is all good but have kept looking just in case it does turn out to be a dud. 馃馃
Have you got media nav on the list.. seen many posts on that one..

Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
馃槀 馃ぃ made of tin and An4l Crack.
You are all are making me a bit scared 馃槰. Looking at the reviews for Arnold Clark it seems to be ever very good or hell on earth.
Just feeling a bit nervous as this is the first time I've brought a car on my own before.
Unfortunately forums (fora?) like this are not for the faint hearted. Most people only join them when they have a problem so, like the newspapers, there is a dearth of good news on them. I always approach them the same as warranties and good dealers. Something you can rely on when things go wrong. And this forum will definitely help if you need it in future. We wouldn't be on it if we didn't like our cars (well most of us anyway)

Super mod..
Unfortunately forums (fora?) like this are not for the faint hearted. Most people only join them when they have a problem so, like the newspapers, there is a dearth of good news on them. I always approach them the same as warranties and good dealers. Something you can rely on when things go wrong. And this forum will definitely help if you need it in future. We wouldn't be on it if we didn't like our cars (well most of us anyway)
Will always get people who hate what they have bought and sorry that they did Martin.. good thing is the problems get highlighted so others can see and for people like me to find one that suits their needs with less problems.. I stuck around to help others and for the friends I have made on the way..I was even selected to be a supermod while not owning one so must be doing something right..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts