Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
Agree with both of your points. I really like and enjoy the Clio and Captur. But the suspension on the Clio is a well known issue. The springs are under so much tension that it stressed the spring to the point of breaking.

They (Renault) revised the springs on the MK4 PH2. Just ashame those springs cost a pretty penny form renault.

This is one of those cases where aftermarket is actually better made and will outlast the OEM counter part. Other than that, the car itself is a nice car. No matter which engine you go for. If you don't like them, that person should never buy another model of any car in Renaults lineup. As all their cars and SUV's share same engines or have a very minor tweaks and upgrades to another model in their lineup. I know the captur, kadjar, clio and megane all share the 6-7 series K9K engines. Doesn't matter which car you buy. They will all most certainly drive the wheels the same. The only thing that's different is trim and comfort levels.

Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
馃槀 馃ぃ made of tin and An4l Crack.
You are all are making me a bit scared 馃槰. Looking at the reviews for Arnold Clark it seems to be ever very good or hell on earth.
Just feeling a bit nervous as this is the first time I've brought a car on my own before.
And don't forget that a dealer has to provide a roadworthy car by law and cover it with a limited period warranty. This way anything serious pops up in the first couple of months should be dealt with by them. I always add a couple of items to @Dancingdad's comprehensive list since warranties don't cover consumables
  • battery. a visual inspection won't show much but check for secure terminals and no corrosion. The battery will only have a couple of years left at most
  • front discs. you can most likely see these through the wheels. Check that they are not badly scored or worn - you can feel the lip on worn discs with your fingers. I can almost guarantee they will be quite worn but still legal and waiting for your first service for them to be changed. If you are negotiating you might be able to get a new set (with pads) fitted.
  • tyres obviously (but DD covered this) if you are negotiating.
Post edit: with my captur I got one wheel and four new tyres. We argued over the discs and I agreed to leave them (they weren't too bad) except at the first service they said they needed changing - partly because it would be two years to the next check. I got the sales manager into the workshop to agree to pay half. They said it was my driving.... my last car didn't have a brake change for four years, driving all over western europe.

Registered
Clio Mk IV. 1.5 dCi MediaNav S/S 2013. MN1 v4.1.0.
Don鈥檛 be put off. Just know what you want, stand your ground and if something doesn鈥檛 鈥榝eel right鈥 walk away.

I would also recommend that you don鈥檛 go alone. Even if the other person doesn鈥檛 know anything about cars, two heads are better than one

Super mod..
Don鈥檛 be put off. Just know what you want, stand your ground and if something doesn鈥檛 鈥榝eel right鈥 walk away.

I would also recommend that you don鈥檛 go alone. Even if the other person doesn鈥檛 know anything about cars, two heads are better than one
Good point Wendy.. another person will also act as proof of what was said by the sales person.. if you use a smart phone record the conversation at least if you are alone..

Registered
I also have to say that sometimes you can over think things and kinda back yourself into a corner.
It鈥檚 great to ask for advice, but sometimes it can be overwhelming.
Go with your gut.

Premium Member
......They (Renault) revised the springs on the MK4 PH2. .......
If this is a 2017 is that not a Ph2? My 2017 is the facelifted model - so any spring problem is already sorted??

It's only 4 years old and 13,000 miles - have a good look, try everything, check cover of warranty..... but don't panic!! A second set of eyes is a good idea though.....

I agree with some previous comments about forums - I have a Honda motorcycle, the most reliable motorcycle I've ever had, but on the Honda forum? Blimey, from comments there, you'd think twice about buying one!! ;)

Registered
If this is a 2017 is that not a Ph2? My 2017 is the facelifted model - so any spring problem is already sorted??

It's only 4 years old and 13,000 miles - have a good look, try everything, check cover of warranty..... but don't panic!! A second set of eyes is a good idea though.....

I agree with some previous comments about forums - I have a Honda motorcycle, the most reliable motorcycle I've ever had, but on the Honda forum? Blimey, from comments there, you'd think twice about buying one!! ;)
Should be, but the 17 plates can also just of managed to push a PH1 out. They are available. You'll know by the arrangement of the DRL. If they're next to the renault badge - PH1. If situated at the bottom of the bumper - PH2. I'd still check the springs though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Will do all the checks that you lovely lot have suggested, then I'm going to take it to renault for a health check (only 拢25) spoke to them today and they said they would do a full report it anything was wrong. Guess they think any work will come their way if needed.
Will try to find a random man to come test drive with me, Tinder maybe ??? 馃槅
Got to ask what is the DRL?
You did just give me flashbacks to my little 50cc Honda scooter, so much funny.

Registered
DRL = Daytime Running Lights

They are the white lights that are lit at the front of your car (not your headlights). They moved positions slightly between PH1 and PH2.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Is this what you mean ? PH1 being the first pic, where the DRL is near the bottom and PH2 where its been moved into the main light cluster?

Registered
I have a PH1 and the DRL鈥檚 are higher up in the grill adjacent to the headlights.

Premium Member
The two ways I spot a 2017 facelift Clio (Ph2) - the front grille is wider and has the daytime lights low down, and at the back the lines each side of the number plate are straight instead of wiggly!! I'm sure there are more technical differences.... 馃お

Facelift daytime lights (this is my car - you can just about read Arnold Clark on the number plate!!)

Facelift has 3 straight lines on the black panel not original wiggly lines

Registered
The two ways I spot a 2017 facelift Clio (Ph2) - the front grille is wider and has the daytime lights low down, and at the back the lines each side of the number plate are straight instead of wiggly!! I'm sure there are more technical differences.... 馃お

View attachment 190786
Facelift daytime lights (this is my car - you can just about read Arnold Clark on the number plate!!)
View attachment 190788
Facelift has 3 straight lines on the black panel not original wiggly lines
That's one thing I didn't notice. The PH2 came with 17inch wheels as well, where as the PH1 was offered in 15 and 16. The rear drums were updated to match the Captur.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Finally got some photos. Think it is the PH2 Facelift. I even has the spare under the boot not just the inflation kit. Only thing i don't like is how rusty the drums look on the back but every Clio I've seen is the same. Was thinking I would clean them and paint with calliper paint.

Premium Member
Yep - facelift car, and looks very nice!! I think that blue was a new/special colour as was my titanium grey colour and a dark maroon option.....

Outside of drums do rust - mine are half and half at the moment, half original silver paint, half rust!! It doesn't do any harm, and I keep meaning to give them a quick rub down and coat of paint..... but I never get round to it!!

Registered
Finally got some photos. Think it is the PH2 Facelift. I even has the spare under the boot not just the inflation kit. Only thing i don't like is how rusty the drums look on the back but every Clio I've seen is the same. Was thinking I would clean them and paint with calliper paint. View attachment 190789 View attachment 190790
Nice colour that. Definitely a PH2. I hope your getting that for a good price. The MK5 is out now so that cars price is deappreciated a lot since it was released.

I wire brushed the rust off mine. Sprayed them with primer and black rattle can paint.

Registered
Modus 54reg
I was gonna comment but the thread went in a different direction i think and can't find a way to delete it.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts