Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there could anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference with this uprated headunit?
Ive got the standard one at the moment, as far as im aware the only difference is 30W rather than 15W... is this RMS or peak?
Ive replaced all my door speakers etc for quality items, so the speaker side is sorted, im just wondering if it will be worthwhile upgrading to a cabasse unit?
Does it play bass better without distorting?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I seriously doubt if they'll make a big difference.. The speakers are the most limiting factor.

Only your ears can decide - best pop down to your local dealer and take your fav CD with you to see if there's any noticeable difference.

Out of curiousity, what speakers are you using now?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried quite a few speakers over the past week or so.
Tried alpine cheap co-ax's, not bad for £20 however they only respond down to 70 Hz so not very punchy

Then got some sony 3 way ones that played down to 35, much more warmer sound yet still clear.
Left the sonys in the back and bought some alphasonik ones for the front, £90 but way better, produce the full spectrum superbly.
Im just thinking a bit more power wouldnt go a miss, i mean surely as it was a quality upgrade there should be a noticeable difference?

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
We have the cabasse unit with the standard "cabasse" speakers - for a std fit the sound is pretty good,cds especially sound really good, my only criticism would be a slight lack of bass.

As you have upgraded the speakers in your car already you would probably notice less of a difference in the sound quality.
The advanatage of the higher power amp is that you will get less distortion, so you will be able to increase bass,treble controls and volume more. The amplifier in the cabasse unit is, apparently a better quality one, not just more powerful.

We had a Dynamique Laguna loan car with the standard unit and speakers - sounded ok, but the cabasse unit has a definite edge. But that may be down to the speakers, because a dynamique only has std speakers.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats true, and the standard speakers are stupidly crap!
They weigh nothing!

Im just one of those people that loves standard looking stuff, with the display and controls working.

I'll have a think

1 - 5 of 5 Posts