Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a Renaultsport 2.0 172 2002 Reg and will be 5 years old this August. I am aware that the cambelt needs changing before then and am hot on the trail and finding places to replace it. Does anyone know a desent place in Manchester? Also, is their anything else that should be replaced at the same time?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi, Matti - sorry can't help with sourcing a decent garage in your area (I live in Northern Ireland). It is recommended to replace the tensioner and idler pulleys when renewing the timing belt. It is also a good idea to replace the water pump and auxiliary belt at the same time as the labour time involved is much the same and the only additional cost is the price of the auxilary belt and the pump.:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
As Noel as mentioned if one belt needs changing they ALL do.
Most cam belts can be purchased in kit form with all relevant parts that need changing.
You could call a few garages and see who give the best warranty on their work.

Tom

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Remember that although the cambelt is on 72K changes the accessory belt must be replaced every 36K as it drives the water pump..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have phoned afew places and these are the following quotes I have:

Renault Oldham
--------------------
Replacing the cambelt and alternator belt(?) is going to cost £670.17. I also asked for a the price of 48k service as my car has nearly done this, this is an additional cost of £237.89

RS Tuning (Leeds)
-----------------------
Replacing the cambelt with a kit is £429 plus a the 48k service which equates to a total of £579.

Riverside Revilo (Stockport)
----------------------------------
Service costs: £338.49
Cambelt costs: 407.73

I don't really know anywhere else other than normal street garages.

I've heard the guy at RS Tuning is really good. I asked about having the water pump changed and he said it isn't necessary on the RS 172 MkII Clio.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like RS Tuning is your cheapest option but the cambelt change for all seems steep.
RS Tuning service cost is very good.
Have you tried contacting a mobile tuner?

Tom

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
The 172 cambelt change is a real ***** as the front bumper and offside headlight require removing to gain access to the accessory belt tensioner.

The Cambelt replacement itself aint too bad but space is limited, with torn knuckles common place.

Thats why the cost is high due to the labour involved in doing it..

I wouldn´t like to replace one on a driveway mind you. A ramp is pretty much a neccessity.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Matti - if you never done a cambelt change before you would be going into dangerous territory. If you end up getting it wrong and damage the engine the car would probably not be cost effective to repair. Driving fancy quick cars just ain't cheap - there is not always an easy way out. The garage that does the change should have experience of such cars and adequate tools for the job and if they get it wrong at least you would have some comeback.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

My 172 Clio went in for the cam belt today and they rung up saying that it needed a water pump and a separate hose because of a so called leak. Also that an engine mount has gone and I need new brakes all round.

All in all its going to set me back about £1,200 :( I love working to keep my Reanult.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey,

My 172 Clio went in for the cam belt today and they rung up saying that it needed a water pump and a separate hose because of a so called leak. Also that an engine mount has gone and I need new brakes all round.

All in all its going to set me back about £1,200 :( I love working to keep my Reanult.
:eek:

Wow is that for a holiday as well?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'd definately get a second opinion on the brakes before giving the go ahead (if you haven't already).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts