Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have just purchased a 2001 megane convertible with 64k on the clock and no proof that the cam belt has been replaced any time soon, if ever. I would like to get it replaced but, seems to be a bit of a mine field with different estimates and warnings of what could happen if not done correctly.

I'm looking for a reputable mechanic in the Bournemouth, Dorset area who I could trust to do it right and not cost me more than the car is worth :)

The best estimate I had was around 2 hours/£100 + parts, thing is I have lost a little faith in them as I had it mot'ed with them and asked whether they could quickly replace the dog-bone engine support (2 bolts/5 mins) and they said £20, I'm going to do it myself, will take me around 10-15 mins.

The first guy I spoke to said the cost of MOT would be £45, then I was told to pay £50 by a different bloke before the other guy corrected him.

So, please guys if you have some recommendations or tips that would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Dave

·
remember Murphy never sleeps
8,239 Posts
hi,what engine is it if you can do engine mounts why not cambelt depending on engine type? Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 1.6 16v, the thought of doing the belt myself scares the hell out of me, did new brake discs & pads the other day, took me 5 hours with a socket set from Argos a couple of the bolts took some major persuasion :)

Don't you have to be very careful about tensions and whatnot?

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
It's 1.6 16v, the thought of doing the belt myself scares the hell out of me, did new brake discs & pads the other day, took me 5 hours with a socket set from Argos a couple of the bolts took some major persuasion :)
Don't you have to be very careful about tensions and whatnot?
Firstly, read the thread about how a garage Bu55ered an engine. Could you do any worse??
If you do get it done, insist on a water pump change at the same time & ensure they have the correct tools, not tippex & tooth counting. :eek:
Lots of threads on here, do a search & frighten yourself:d
If you do DIY, you will need to find the thread on making your timing tools. You will also need a 1/4 drive ratchet & sockets as access is TIGHT. To do it properly, a torque wrench & angle gauge is necessary.
Tensioning the belt is easy, as the tensioner has a built in gauge. The ***** is having the confidence to start the job. Not hard after the first time. Just a PITA. I'm on Scenic #3 the Mk2 with the dephaser pulley, yet another tool to make:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts