Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2001(y) Scenic. In October I put it in for a timing belt chang. It was a bit juddery prior to going in, was due a service. The garage took the car and kept it for a week,with the engine out and told me they couldn't get a part!!! I got it back eventually but was told it still needed a part and that I would be contacted. The car sounded like an old tractor when I collected it but settled down except for a strange squeak:steam: .

Last week, I didn't hear from the garage about the missing part, the car went very juddery. I thought it was an ignition coil so called out a new mechanic who said it ws a knock sensor. I arranged for them to come and change my timing belt as they were of the opinion that the original garage hadn't done it. Prior to them working on the car on Thursday it was very juddery and losing power but was still starting. When I came home they told me that they had changed the belt but the original garage had stretched the original belt when it had gone in before and refitted it so now my valves are all damaged. The car does not start at all now.They are pushing me to replace the engine from a scrap yard rather than having the valves skimmed etc. I am completely lost and would really appreciate some advice.

Do you think they are trying it on and have caused a new problem? Why are they pushing to get a replacement engine from a scrapyard,owned by someone they know? They say that when I get it sorted I should get rid of it, why?

Sorry this is so long.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Renault Forums, do you have any details as to the engine you have in your car,
Regards Leroy

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi again Scarlett, I may be completely wrong but I didn't think that the engine had to be removed to change the cam belt on a Scenic, stick around and I'm sure one of the tech type guys will give you some more info,
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The engine doesn't need to be removed to change the cambelt!

What was the first garage supposed to do?Did you ask them to change the cambelt?What part were they waiting for?

It sounds like the first garage c#cked the cambelt up,repaired your engine badly,then the second mechanic has also c#cked the cambelt up but is blaming the first for being at fault.

I think it's time to contact trading standards and report the pair of them for being incompetant........

Edit;How much have you paid the two mechanics in total?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thanks for responding.

I asked the first mechanic to change the belt and he kept the car for a week, allegedly awaiting parts?? I was very surprised that the engine was out.He asked for £115 with the rest due when he phoned to fit the missing part....don't know what it was meant to be but the second lot of mechanics said there was nothing missing. I said I wanted to pay what was due but he said he had to go to the dentist and left my car on the main road with the keys under the sun visor.

I have not paid the second pair anything yet as they will give me a final bill when they do whatever comes next. They say that they know a scrappy but they have talked about this person from the moment they first looked at the car, just a superficial look. They say it would be better to have engine replaced thather than put the part in for skimming. I have a bad feeling now and wonder ehy the car won't even start now. I don't feel comfortable with an engine from a scrapyard, maybe I am being stupid?"

I think I will call Trading Standards in the morning and ask for their take on it.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Something definately doesn't add up...

Have you or anyone you know used either of these people before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think from what you have said both garages are not up to the job there is no reason to remove the engine to access the timming belt also i dont believe that the belt can stretch they usually break which causes the valves to bend as they come into contact with the pistons normally you fit a cambelt kit comprising of the belt, tensioner, idler puley normal cost for job with labour around £160-£200 how ever bent valves etc could very costly and a replacement engine from scrappy maybe cheaper option or find a good mechanic first and confirm if valves are bent if so conact mark at engine express you can find him on ebay search for cylinder heads he repairs them cheap and does excellent job did my laguna 16 valve head for £325 picked up and delivered including full gasget set and head bolts, cam belt kits from Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By are also very cheap and while not origional renault are made in germany so they are good quality. hope this may be of some help best of luk kev.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I have a 2001(y) Scenic. In October I put it in for a timing belt chang. It was a bit juddery prior to going in, was due a service. The garage took the car and kept it for a week,with the engine out and told me they couldn't get a part!!! I got it back eventually but was told it still needed a part and that I would be contacted. The car sounded like an old tractor when I collected it but settled down except for a strange squeak:steam: .

Last week, I didn't hear from the garage about the missing part, the car went very juddery. I thought it was an ignition coil so called out a new mechanic who said it ws a knock sensor. I arranged for them to come and change my timing belt as they were of the opinion that the original garage hadn't done it. Prior to them working on the car on Thursday it was very juddery and losing power but was still starting. When I came home they told me that they had changed the belt but the original garage had stretched the original belt when it had gone in before and refitted it so now my valves are all damaged. The car does not start at all now.They are pushing me to replace the engine from a scrap yard rather than having the valves skimmed etc. I am completely lost and would really appreciate some advice.

Do you think they are trying it on and have caused a new problem? Why are they pushing to get a replacement engine from a scrapyard,owned by someone they know? They say that when I get it sorted I should get rid of it, why?

Sorry this is so long.

Your cambelt change takes 3.9 hours booktime and is a relatively easy job.

You do need the fitting tools to align the cams and more importantly to keep the crank in place.

It sounds like they buggered it up with the crankshaft pulley as it has no woodruff key and the second shower of do-do's that worked on it made matters worse.

Sorry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts