Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a 99 Clio 1.2 8v which the cambelt snapped (71k miles) as I pulled up to a set of traffic lights, I am assuming I have probably bent some valves

Anyway I removed the old cambelt remains, and the top pulley appeared to be at TDC with the pulley marking at the top

I turned the bottom pulley (via rotating the wheel hub) so that the notch was at the bottom and fitted the new cambelt

Refitted all the covers etc and alternator belt (I left off the aux power steering belt just to try the car to see if it would start

The car turns over but doesnt start, so to check I took spark plug number one out, to make sure it was actually sparking, and when I turn the engine over, and what looks like petrol vapour shoots out of cylinder 1 and what appears to be some compression

Chances are I have some bent valves, but dont really want to strip the head down just yet (and have bought a Clio 1.4s to replace it anyway)

But with bent valves would the car start but be quite chuggy and misfire etc, or would it just not start at all as the symptoms above

Have I put the new belt on correctly and is it worth getting a compression tester just to check the cylinders to check before I make a plunge and strip it down

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You've got a few bent valves for certain I'm afraid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've got a few bent valves for certain I'm afraid.
Thanks, I am pretty sure of that myself, but it was always worth a try just to replace the cambelt :)

A quick question, when I was turningthe bottom pulley (by rotating the wheel hub) I assume it is right even with all spark plugs removed to get resistance and have to apply a small amount of force on about half a rotation of the engine

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I wouldn't expect that with the plugs removed,no.There should be very little resitance of any kind with the spark plugs removed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't expect that with the plugs removed,no.There should be very little resitance of any kind with the spark plugs removed.
Hmm could that be the pistons bending the valves further then ?

Its not a large amount of force thats needed just that I had to put a bar across the 2 studs to turn it and the car was in 4th (or might have been 5th) gear

As I read you should leave the car in gear to hand crank it to line the pulley mark up

This slight resistance is with the new belt on

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I wouldn't bother with putting it in gear to turn the engine over,it's much easier to put some washers on the crank pulley bolt and use that to turn the crank over directly.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you got a valve or valve guides bent you may damage something by trying to crank it. Needled to say that you new belt may be under abnormal tension as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts