Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My new cambelt kit was delivered this morning.

However the cambelt does not have any markings on it, eg lines on the belt you align with the corresponding marks on the camshafts/crankshaft, will this be a problem?

I've fitted several cambelts over the years and this is the only one i've had with no such markings. It also has no rotation markings but its obvious which way it fits by its brand markings not upside down if you understand.

The cambelt on the engine still has its markings visible {just} i'll probably mark the new belt using that.
:)

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Strange indeed - I have never cam across a new timing belt that didn't have directional markings.

I wouldn't like to put much faith on the position of the manufacturers label only unless it had arrow markings or such.:)

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange indeed - I have never cam across a new timing belt that didn't have directional markings.

I wouldn't like to put much faith on the position of the manufacturers label only unless it had arrow markings or such.:)
Thanks Noel, thats why i asked in another thread the quality of FAI components.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Timing belts are constructed to have their innards take load primarily in one direction only so if there is no marking I personally wouldn't use it.

Sorry I have no experience of FAI belts.

Have you contacted the seller or FAI for advice.

Did you get the belt cheap on the net - could it possibly be a fake??:)

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Timing belts are constructed to have their innards take load primarily in one direction only so if there is no marking I personally wouldn't use it.

Sorry I have no experience of FAI belts.

Have you contacted the seller or FAI for advice.

Did you get the belt cheap on the net - could it possibly be a fake??:)
I'll certainly do some research before fitting it!

I'll contact FAI asap.

The belt came in with a FAI kit, tensioner & roller.

The seller on ebay purchased several items including this kit for his own megane but sold the car on before fitting them.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a gates belt for piece of mind!

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've sent FAI a email enquiring as to whether their cambelts have markings on them or not.

Lets wait & see what they have to say.

They do however have a 2011 disclaimer regarding their belts not being fitted without new pulleys or components from other manufacturers.

G

·
I have used FAI on several Renaults 16 valve engines and they didn't have directions arrows on them. IIRC neither have the gates belt kits I've used recently or Continental.

The belts I have fitted to my V6 Vauxhall usually have marks which you initially set to the timing marks to aid fitment but once you turn the engine over the don't realign.

G

·
What engine are you changing the timing belt on?

If it's the Megane in your garage ? then there are no timing marks and there are no keys on any of the shafts and you will need to use a TDC setting pin and cam shaft locking tool.

The FIA timing belts kit's I've used have always come with new crank shaft pulley bolts and cam shaft blanking plugs. The last one I fitted was a couple of weeks ago after repairing a 03 1.4 Scenic which I bought with broken cam belt.

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gates belt that i fitted exactly five years had directional arrows and three white lines on it, still slightly visible.
At TDC two white lines were exactly above the renault logo on the camshafts with them locked in position, one line was directly below the crankshaft.
This kit also came with the new bolt & blanking plugs etc.
I can fit it without the markings but this is the first belt i've bought or seen without any at all!

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update;

FAI have replied to my email.

Their belts do NOT have any markings on them whatsoever apart from the brand name and can be fitted multi directional, in other words either way round.

G

·
Three I changed earlier :) OEM Renault timing belts with Renault logo and part numbers as well as Gates & PowerGrip trade marks. No timing marks or directional arrows on them.

G

·
Maybe it's time for me to list some old timing belts and rollers on Fleabay I could also do free P & P to draw the punters in! :rofl:

G

·
Just had a new FAI timing belt kit arrive this morning. As expected no directional markings though unexpectedly it does say it's made in the good old US of A

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The one i purchased only had the FAI logo on it and ''follow manufacturers directions for fitment'' in tiny letters.
FAI have informed me their belts and kits are of the highest quality, thats good enough for me.
However they have a disclaimer their belts must be fiited with their own rollers and tensioners or the warranty is void.

G

·
I might be wrong? but IIRC some of the FAI belts I have fitted haven't had any markings whatsoever but might wrong.

I have always bought belt kits as it is usually seems to work out cheaper than buying the belt and rollers separately.

In any case IMO it's a false economy not replace the rollers at the same time with all the cost and aggravation of having to repair your engine if a roller fails.

Years ago I broke down in the middle of Dublin in a 2.0is Sierra when the cam belt snapped. Fortunately no piston and valve contact on the old 2.0 Pinto engine and I manged to change the belt at the side of the road.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.