Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. 2005 2.5dci Master. The tensioner for my cambelt seems to have moved since last weekend. I set it so the pointer was central to the cut out on the tensioner backing plate. But see the attached picture from today and it's moved..
Is this normal!?
Thank you
IMG_20210220_104813616.jpg

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,366 Posts
Had you turned the engine back to for any reason .
Its not right at that, if you have not moved anything

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI, thanks for replying. I turned the engine over by hand before setting the final tension position (between the cut mark) This was about 20 miles ago, i checked on saturday and it has moved to what you see,

I played about with the old tensioner on the bench, and to move the pointer to the right, requires extra pressure to be placed on the roller, implying the belt is tighter now than it was when fitted.

Do you reccomend removing and fitting a new tensioner?

·
43,366 Posts
Would just readjust the tensioner
You have basically just pretensioned the belt, so its now too tight ( Thats the correct point for pretensioning )
Just undo the tensioner, ( Make sure you have your allen key inside ready )
Undo the nut/bolt, and slightly turn it back ..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i pre tensioned it (to where it is now...) the turned over engine. Then set to final tension in the cut out mark, and locked it all down. Won't it just happen again?

·
43,366 Posts
Nope, you could have just got it tighter than you thought
It cannot tighten itself, only loosen if that makes sense

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it does make sense, that why my head is hurting :) Especially as i have a photo of it when it was set...
If you're confident this is wrong, i'll change it. Just confusing as other people on FB say its fine, but im not convinced.

·
43,366 Posts
Its too tight where its pointing
Thats the place you set it to pretension it
Then you let it back off to the middle marking
Its better to be the other end of the pointer than that end
TOO tight will always be worse than not quite tight enough on all belts not just cam belts

Reactions: spiderguard

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,403 Posts
Ourkid is right, OP.
I'd believe him before I'd believe the bloke off the mountain with the stone tablets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interestingly, I just turned the engine over to TDC and then checked.. like magic it's back in the correct position.
Could it just be a variation in tension on the belt as it goes round? As nothing seems to have moved! The picture I posted was just a random position,not TDC.

·
43,366 Posts
You might have slightly turned crank back, this will pull on the tension between cam and crank, if its correct when going in the correct direction of rotation, then would say leave well alone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts