Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@haelewyn
Any particular part of UK ?
This thing was in 'what made you smile' first, but I am not sure where it fits best. So maybe it's safe to continue here.
Original question was : Is anybody in the B&B business or can recommend a nice place to stay. Looking for an affordable room, not intending to do any extra bargaining. I mean : that's not the reason why I post this.

Entering in Kent, probably Dover.
Just staying around for a week or maybe a bit longer, see the country (did so regularly before).
Any new place is welcome on the list. Going from Kent towards Edinburgh perhaps ... And maybe Fort William.
So could go north West as well as East side.

Meanwhile, made a bid today on a camper from around 1990, old Transporter, 150k miles, outside in rather mint condition, so I hope they gave the engine some attention too.
Must have started changing things on it on this mileage.

Inside is not this well equipped that I wouldn't need to go find rooms.

Anyone has experience with the old 1,6 diesel VW engines that were placed in the back of the transporter ?
I drove them in petrol versions before but can't remember much about them any more.
I remember from before the sliding doors were coming out when they were old ..
Waterpump was a weak point I think but not sure any more.Don't know if a 1,9 diesel would fit in case of a necessary change.

Made a rather low bid, 4350 euro, as this is not exactly camperseason and at months like this they go for a lower price. I guess it happens everywhere like that.
A more complete Mercedes (409) in similar condition would cost 7k but then have wooden furniture, bit 'extra' on the engine and some more comfort like toilet etc...
If I would go there (VW), I would ask the seller (dealer) to put it outside and not start it before I come... Hear it start cold (on a cold day).Then maybe he will start it the night before, but what the heck..
See if it goes well, ... runs properly...

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
so its a brick aka T3 , as its diesel i think its a golf motor, you will need to check the rad and the pipes from the rad to the back of the van as they air lock (did on my petrol).
Check the seal on the motor lid as well, also check the runners on the sliding doors for rot as they are a MENACE.
check the obvious places for rot as well, the diesels tho are better than the early wet petrols, oh and dont expect it to be a rocket it will also most likley be slow up the highlands as most things are lol

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... It will be very slow ... I am aware of that. LOL.
If the deal doesn't go through, I will do the trip with my Megane.. That would be a lot more fast and I would make trips in one day where the T3 will indeed take longer (in days) to finish a trip.
I don't know if this model T3 - called a JOKER, which is their campervan model, would be sufficiently warm with a Webasto unit and if that would work flawless. Otherwise there would not be a lot of use in having the van in winter.
The webasto's I knew 20-30 years ago needed regular maintenance, often flooded themselves and then later didn't manage to produce warm air any more. I guess that it works with some kind of glow plug that gets ruined after being drowned by fuel.

Haven't been in the Highlands for long but one thing I appreciated there was that their pace of life was going often more slow than mine here.. As I was never born as a fast worker, it's nice to see other people can be more slow than me.

Will check the things you suggested. Sliding doors, also on the T2 a real pain in the but, had noticed that before. Have driven a T2 one time with someone in the back, holding the door for 7 miles. Will always remember as I was the one in the back. :grin2:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,395 Posts
Entering in Kent, probably Dover.
Just staying around for a week or maybe a bit longer, see the country (did so regularly before).
Any new place is welcome on the list. Going from Kent towards Edinburgh perhaps ... And maybe Fort William.
So could go north West as well as East side.

Is historical castles & houses etc your interest, or scenery, or cities ?? Might be worth you joining the UK Camping & Caravan Club as they have their own network of sites with better facilities. Check out the website.

Anyone has experience with the old 1,6 diesel VW engines that were placed in the back of the transporter ?

Just to add to the above, if you are intending to visit London area within M25 look up the website for the Low Emission Zone. For old diesel engine vehicles there is a daily charge. And also the Central London Congestion Charge if you drive through the centre of London. Both have high daily charges and even bigger fines if you are late paying..

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there is one thing I would want to stay away from, it would be London and other big cities. Don't know if other big cities in UK have banned old diesels yet. Here they just started doing that, in Germany it's more common for a long time.
I am thinking about Edinburgh too but I have seen it's rather desolated in winter and there is enough parking space available usually around this time.

My favorite places in UK are f.e. Wales, Scotland (anywhere but not so much Glasgow) and cities from the size of Carlisle.

Favorite way of traveling is to get to an area where I feel home, then get to know the place very well. Make some friends, spoken in a basic way of friendship, know the area well, know the area's problems, people's problems and way of life .. and learn from it.

·
9,395 Posts
I am thinking about Edinburgh too but I have seen it's rather desolated in winter and there is enough parking space available usually around this time.

My favorite places in UK are f.e. Wales, Scotland (anywhere but not so much Glasgow) and cities from the size of Carlisle.

When are you planning to visit the UK? Its all a bit grim outside of Spring and Summer :sunny:

Favorite way of traveling is to get to an area where I feel home, then get to know the place very well. Make some friends, spoken in a basic way of friendship, know the area well, know the area's problems, people's problems and way of life .. and learn from it.
Might I suggest a visit to Stoke .... it sounds like Ours local hostelry can meet all of the above over a few jars of Newkie :grin2:>:)>:)

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,747 Posts
I'll second the stay out of London with older diesels...can get very expensive, not sure where the emission zones start but I think with a T3 you cannot go inside the M25 without risk. Transport for London website gives full information and you can check vehicle against their database. I think even compliant vehicles from overseas need to be registered with them BTW.

If stuck anywhere for a bed, Travel Lodges and Premier Inns are all over the place. Souless and not the cheapest but available.
You may also want to check out the Youth Hostel Association https://www.yha.org.uk/faqs
Don't have to be a yoof, there are no age restrictions

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As soon as I get going, I'm off. I know that sounds daft but I need to get things going now as I got a bad doctor visit this week and it seems I am in a bit poorer heart condition than most people would have thought before, including myself.
So I need to move more and if that doesn't help : enjoy more anyway.

Stoke is nice... Thought about Bath too but that already looks very busy to me.

If with the T3, didn't get an answer on it yet, ... It would be following a big truck, stay in it's shadow more or less and profit from the slipstream.

Youth hostels : did so before... I will for sure try them out. They even have warm water now to shower, so they get better than they were.
I used to come to UK often before and in these days everything was a lot cheaper. Good B&B for around 20 pounds or less.
I suffer from getting old (even though just 50) and one of the symptoms is that my mind on prices got stuck in the 90's.
Whatever the price is, it has to be paid...

Travelodge : have seen them , never tried them. Would sleep anywhere ... Just don't know if I can sleep in the old campervan now :)

·
9,395 Posts
... Just don't know if I can sleep in the old campervan now :)
Ditch that idea ..... condensation in a metal box is no fun and not good for health.

How about renting a caravan on a proper holiday site around the country? Being out of season the prices will be much lower and many sites are open for more months now .. some open all year if authorities allow. You could book a week or two or perhaps a month if you wish to stay in a place for longer.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come to think about it : I used to sleep in a Scudo (Fiat) and Doblo before ... and the condens dripped from the roof.. That was indeed a less nice experience. Later, i changed it to sleeping on the front bench and leaving the engine on, heater too.
Some say it's very bad for an engine to leave it running for many hours; I ignored that as it was a calculated risk. I got paid for taking a hotel but then kept the money in my pocket.

Would that advice still go knowing it is a campervan, has air roster (i think it has .... or i would install one) and Webasto night heating ? I never tried those, only vans with no heating in the back at all.

Caravan : Remembered i have friends in Scotland who do the big not movable caravans... renting them. Would be a good idea.
Just in the long run, I would wonder if I would save money on a nice campervan. LOL... I am a cheap skate..
Want to buy it for less than 5k, then sell it for 4 after using it a lot.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never managed to make deals like that. Never managed to buy things really cheap.
Just always pay too much and get back too little.

Got a Mercedes 409D in sight too.
Also 30 yeats old. 150.000 miles.
Absolultely beautiful on the outside.
Engine is the
OM617 (617.913) I5 2998 cc 65 kW (88 hp) / 4400

Looks nicer on the inside, like a real kitchen inside where the VW just has some cabinets and simple camper stuff.
Will cost around 6500 pounds though.

I have driven this before too and other but a starter I can not imagine any trouble with it.
Will consume 3-4 literes diesel more per 100 km easily. That's a disadvantage.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First one answered I am WAY under the asking price (which is advertised as : to be agreed). No VW.. 4350 pounds for a 30 year old T3 with 1,6 diesel should be around the value of this one, I would think.

Mercedes is a truck. I do have a license but no medical any more for a truck. So, that would be tricky if i can get it and it would cost money too. Limited validity of the license in that case.
While I still have unlimited duration now.

A trip with the Megane comes closer to mind now..
Cheaper on petrol (Merc is 15 liters per 100 km) and cheaper to put on a ferry. That could perhaps save me a few 'bob'.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,747 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts in the mix....
Depending on how many you want to sleep, would a smaller "van" make more sense?
Start from scratch and you can kit it out to suit exactly what you want.
Some have/are converting Kangoos.
A modern Tragic van would make a decent base.
Or an MPV.... can find things like my Sedona right cheap, take the seats out and it is a small Transit size van, slightly larger then classic VW camper. I've found some older but really low mileage wheelchair conversions at silly low money.... no good for me as I need the 7 seats and cannot convert back but would serve as a camper base. 144bph and around 40mpg on a run (not good round town)

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Feel we ought to link you places of interest to stay
Here's one if you go through Birmingham
The UK's only Clothes Optional Spa & Hotel | Clover Spa
0:)

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,842 Posts
Be cheaper to get here, and hire a car, travel around, and just find somewhere each night to sleep..
Or get here, hire a camper van, and do it that way..

Most vans are 70£ a day, with all the mod cons, so 30 days, * 70, = couple of grand . and having it that length of time would be at least 25% off that, so now its 1500, somewhere to sleep in Each night, so now no BB costs..

Oh it gets better, find a friendly pub, use the carpark for the night..

So now you have an evening meal with a drink, a place to crash.

Am I selling it yet,,.. Then, if really adventurous, try the Local ladies of the night..
Can pick one of these up for 3,000 baht, stay all night and look after you ( scratch this last bit , thinking of Thailand )

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Smaller van : have been looking into packs to change like a Kangoo / Doblo / Peugeot Partner instantly into a mini campervan. Of course, it stays mini always.

Some examples :

http://www.ovicuo.com/shop/travelbox/

https://www.treehugger.com/modular-design/ovicuo-renault-kangoo-travel-camper-pack.html

Was also looking at Renault Espace but only found 1994 as the oldest for about 400 pounds.
I need from 1991 or older to get it on an oldtimer road tax (30 pounds), cheap insurance, no registration cost, no yearly MOT etc.
The Espace from 94 would cost >700 euro yearly tax and about the same to register it, higher insurance fee than an oldtimer, Yearly MOT, etc.

The KIA's Sedona like you have were not sold here. Not so simple to find an almost 30 year old MPV / van still worth spending money on and reliable enough to drive many miles, big enough to sleep in :laugh:
Whenever they are younger they have diesels and then we are talking the above price range to get them on the road.

Peugeot 806 etc would be rather bad after 30 years, I guess. Voyager : doesn't exist any more after that many years :grin2:
Caravaning : Don't want to start pulling a caravan, tbh.
I did sleep in my small vans before, but the comfort they give are a lot less than a motorhome.
Still thinking if i would try and pass the medical test.. If i do pass, seems ok.
Calculating how many hotels I can take for about the same price. Or youth hostels..
But I guess nothing beats the freedom of having a cup of coffee behind your own table in your own campervan.
The Merc : 400 pounds petrol to go to Scotland and back easily. Can't forget that either. Because it's a truck license (C), it would be more difficult to sell. I guess the current owner feels that problem too.
Considering, thinking about an other plan.. Will let you guys know :laugh: No complete plan yet.

The sauna : if you ever come this way, I could recommend some places in Germany.
Worth to stay camping on their parking lot for a couple of days. Bring enough money though. The extra services there can cost you quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Am I selling it yet,,.. Then, if really adventurous, try the Local ladies of the night..
Can pick one of these up for 3,000 baht, stay all night and look after you ( scratch this last bit , thinking of Thailand )

They must have cheated you or you forgot to bargain.
Should have 2 for this price..

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,842 Posts
Took two home, they said It would be like winning the lottery, not kidding, ended up with 6 balls .. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still searching for a cheap but perfect van.
Didn't find one yet.

Seems transporters (vw) still go high prices here, even they are more than 20 years old or have more than 250 know miles.

Good investment perhaps.....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts