Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I have a Laguna II 1.9dci and have been having some problems with it smoking..

Anyway, I recently done the cambelt and put a new one on exactly the way the old one came off..

I have done many cambelts in the past, but this engine does not seem to have a mark on the engine backplate to match the camshaft. I have the pin in the crankshaft so I know this is at top dead. The camshaft pulley has a round dot on it so I can get this mark, but there is suppose to be a mark on the back plate, but there isn't??

I could be a tooth out and not realise it, if it was would it damage the engine, would I get smoke as the timing would be wrong, although the car runs lovely, pulls away no problem..

Are there any marks on the camahafts themselves if I took the rocker cover off???

Cheers

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi yes i also believe the mark should be on the back plate or the belt cover plate i hope this helps all the best Donald

If you have no luck phone Renault and ask to be put through to technical services and ask them iam sure they will help iam for always doing this cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Donald,
I was just looking for the location of the cam pulley marks on my 1.4e Megan when I came across your post

The belt went & I am trying to fit a new one but I have no idea where to set the cam can you give us a clue please

Tank

·
Registered
80 Posts
The hard and fast answer to this is that there are no timing marks!!!!! Renault use a cam locking tool that goes on the opposite side to the cambelt. When set correctly, there are two notches in the camshafts that sit just below level to the camshaft cover line. The tool then screws into a hole and locks these two in place. the crank shaft pulley is held by a screw in pin that slots in to h hole by the sump near to piston one. This holds the big end in place and is a bloomin' tricky job because, if you get it wrong, you'll screw into the web of the big end and then it'll slip. Don't, whatever you do, unscrew the campulleys. They have no locating method such as a woodruff key and are purely an interference fit. If you are going to take them off, then draw a marking line on each from the pulley, through the web, onto the camshaft and upto the block.

That having been said, I don't think your problem is the timing as the ecu would have a fit if the timing was out and the engine is a close intereference job, so your valve would be shot in an instant. I suspect that your turbo may well be gone as this is a common fault with the DCI. similarly, have you used a diesel flush in it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lo mate thanx for the reply I have the engine running now but very lumpyl & sounding like the exhaust is blowing big time so I conclude that I may have one or more bent valves

With the old Ford CVH & the like it was always either two inlets or two exhausts how many valves do they normally bend at a time ???

Kind regards

Tank

·
Registered
80 Posts
Depends. The more it runs on, the worse it could be. I'd be suprised if it ran at all with bent valves which makes me wonder whether that's the problem. The tollerances are pretty tight on these engines.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi as to the question on the the timming marks, on the rear of the camshafts(blanking plug end) where the timming tool fits in there is 2 half moon shaped lugs on the back of them, one is bigger than the other, and the bigger of the 2 should be at the top at 12 0'clock vertical with the engine, i know this is no use now lol but thaught i would share it:d

·
Registered
3 Posts
found the problem

Hi Lad's

Sorry for the delay getting back to you got the head off & I have one bent exhaust valve on #2 I can only assume when combustion takes place the still burning gasses are forced down the exhaust past the held open valve as well as pushing on the piston hence the noise, all the others seam fine

I think one new & a regrind of all with new valve steam oil seals should do the job;)

Thanks for your help lads

Tank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts