Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 1.9 diesel manual Grand Scenic with intermittent starting problems (see my other post if you want the whole sorry story). It won't start with jump leads (the Renault garage has tried that). How can I bump or tow start it? Is it just like bump/tow starting a petrol car? Put it in second, press the start button so the engine electrics are on and release the clutch at 15 mph or so?

Is there any risk of damaging fuel pumps or anything?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I shouldn't have thought so.

My own van (also a turbo diesel) had a faulty battery, and the only way to start it, was by towing.

I would say to us a proper tow-rope (with plenty of length) as the load placed upon it by the diesel engine is quite sudden.

Best of luck,

Paul

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I've never successfully managed it, depends how much heat you can get in to the glow plugs first, if there is isn't any heat then I would say you have got much chance.

Sorry....let me know if you manage it though.

Good Luck :)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Good point.

I forgot to add that the glow plugs must have warmed up to prevent engine damage (my battery had enough juice for that).

Reactions: mango8

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Ever since I've had the current Megane I've also wondered if a bump or tow start would work, you've either got to have your foot down on the clutch, or brake pedal to start it, both of which seems counter productive to either bump or tow starts. :idunno:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. Does anyone know or can they please check if the clutch or brake has to be held down during the whole of the starting sequence or is it enough that the pedal is just down when the start button is pressed?

If I try to bump start the car wouldn't it be possible to tape or jam the clutch or brake sensing switch down and fool the car that the clutch or brake is in the correct position for starting?

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Pressing the brake or clutch is just a failsafe so that you cannot turn the engine over with the starter in gear it will not matter when tow starting and as lag says glowplugs are not needed to towstart a diesel engine if it is going to start then start it will :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts