Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 (52 plate) Renault Megane Scenic Fidji. I have had terrible problems recently with the coil packs and have had them all replaced over the course of a few months :steam: . However, the dreaded "orange light" is back on and in addition to this it is drinking petrol like a fish and the temperature gauge is going up to about the halfway level after slowly when the engine is on. So far it hasn't gone above this.

Can anyone give me any clue as to what is happening here. I am fed up forking out money to get this car fixed.

And being a lady I know NOTHING about cars!

Thanks a lot xx

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi iam sure someone will help you soon most of the tec guys are about in the evening all the best Donald.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is always a good idea to replace all coil packs together as they will often fail within a short time of each other. The fuel consumption will get worse as you probably have further coil issues and the engine is misfiring. In addition you may have unburnt fuel entering the catalytic converter which can cause cat failure.

When were the coils changed?
Was it done at a dealer or an independent and is there a warrenty on the work?
Is the light on all the time?
Is the engine running rough when the light is on?

A lot of questions I know but the more info you can provide the more help we can try to give.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had one coil pack changed approximately last May and the other 3 replaced at the same time in December, I think. This was at an independent local garage rather than a dealership. The orange light is on all the time at the moment. When I'm driving the car it does feel "not right" but nothing I can put my finger on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will contact them again to see how I get on. They are actually really good at the garage but they must be sick of the sight of me ha ha!!:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
my wife had said for a few days that her car wasn't right and a few days after that the emission control light had come on all the time. i got around to driving it latter that day and the idle was irratic and ran like a bag of nails. I knew straight away it would be one of the ht coils which cost around £40 to buy then its just a case of un-doing 1 x10mm bolt and swaping each in turn untill it runs correctly. The advise from this forum is to replace all the coils at the same time and i must agree as i have replace 4 singles over the past 12 months. i found a site on e-bay selling all 4 for £50 so thought i had nothing to loose and fitted them along with new plugs a couple of days ago. the car ran as normal straight away but the warning light stayed on. i think this must have been down to un-burnt fuel entering the exhaust. The light stayed on for a couple of more days untill she filled up with new fuel and its gone out. total cost £52+ 6 for the plugs. it would have cost me that just to get the light re-set. This is an easy job to do and rewarding when you dont have to cough up a couple of hundred quid. hope this is of some help
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts