Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are pretty nice android based devices on market now days and im tempted to replace the original. Those kits come with radio console and 7" touch screen. Has any here done that?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,469 Posts
Can't see why you can't, end of the day it is a radio with a few extra gizmos.
As long as you can fit it in the hole and sort wiring.
Common issue with all radio change overs is retaining stalk controls.
For that you probably need to do some research to find a suitable adapter.

Don't forget the legal side of it.
Many of the cheaper ones can be connected to DVD players and the like to play videos but don't interlock so can be played while driving.
If this is visible by driver, can get expensive and add points to your licence.

·
24,469 Posts
That looks different to the pop out screens or double DIN versions.
How does that screen fix?... or gotta link to it?

·
24,469 Posts
Wheew, that not a cheap one.
So the screen is in a pod to mount on the dashboard ?

Not sure I would like that, makes it difficult to transfer if you change cars.
And I'm sure any buyer would be unhappy with holes in the dash.

But back to original question, don't know specifically and would depend on adapters to retain wheel controls (if you wanted them).
But should connect to radio loom, again adapters may be needed.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,142 Posts
To tell you the truth, I am not really surprised it no longer works, as it was a thread opened in Feb 2018

·
8,142 Posts
you could always choose the head unit you want then follow the instructions in this tutorial I wrote, to install it and keep your steering wheel satelite controls working

·
Registered
4 Posts
you could always choose the head unit you want then follow the instructions in this tutorial I wrote, to install it and keep your steering wheel satelite controls working
satellite controls are beside gearstick seperate from steering wheel controls id rather get unit to replace tomtom unit

·
8,142 Posts
The controls that are by the gearstick controle the GPS and other functionality of the Stereo Head Unit, if you replace the Head Unit then that combination of buttons would be an ornament, as the controls for the GPS etc will be touch screen on the new stereo and those buttons will not control the new GPS, the volume controls that are on the steering wheel will still function if you use the tutorial and install the correct Connects 2 Harnass adapter with the correct Head Unit Lead attached. but that is you want them controls to function, if not then just a harnass adapter will suffice, it will save you time and money cutting your present harnass and soldering on the new harnass that comes with the new head unit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts