Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The engine on my 2001 1.6 16v Megane Scenic has died and AA suggest cambelt failed. I have been offered a 2002 Citroen Picasso 1.6 16v engine with 62K on clock, still in car and running, rear ended right off, complete with gear box, alternator, starter motor etc for £150 but dont know if this will fit in the scenic. Any advice welcomed.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Anythings possible,but the amount of work involved would be immense.

I'd start searching for the correct engine for your car.:)

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

If it's cam belt failure then you will probably be able to repair your engine as the valves stems in these engines are quite weak and usually bend out of the way causing little other damage.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hello,

its possible to fit pretty much any engine you wanted to into your scenic, but as said the cost would be high and of course selling it on would be difficult. Have you had a mechanic inspect the engine? Even if the cambelt has snapped you may be lucky and of only bent a couple of valves.

Harry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the engine died I was literally stopped and just pulling away from a junction, it just cut out and would not restart. Called the AA out and they said cambelt. The cars been stuck on my drive since being recovered.

There appears to be tension so I think the belt may have slipped rather than snapped but being a 2001 model, even getting a mechanic to look at it before carrying out repairs seems to be cost prohibitive considering the actual value of the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a look at the cambelt and its still in tact and turning with tension, but no compression. All 4 spark plugs quite black.

Does this indicate a slipped belt and if so what is cheapest remedy, fit new head or get another engine from salvage yard.

R

·
0 Posts
If you can repair it yourself that would be the cheapest option.

I repaired a 1.4 K4J a couple of weeks ago with a broken cam belt which uses the same head gasket set, Head bolts, Valves and cam belt kit the parts cost me £137 and took me around 5 days on and off taking my time.

L

·
0 Posts
If it's turning over freely but has no compression that would suggest slipped belt and bent valves.

Is the compression lost in all cylinders?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts