Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Man my clio seems to be having it's fair share of problems this year. It has only done 38, 000 miles and now the latest hassle is that I cannot fill it with petrol. First the petrol gauge wouldn't register the amount and then when I went to the gas station it kept clicking off as if it was full.
I have had the breather lines checked, the sender unit checked, the petrol funnel part? replaced and the whole tank taken off and checked yet it still won't let me fill it up. I did get lucky after the petrol tank had been put back and it let me put £20 in which let the gauge go up to around 3/4 tank. When I thought I would double check and fill it up the rest of the way it wouldn't let me at all.

So......could it be the gauge is wrong and it was full after all.....or is there a blockage somewhere. Could it be something to do with the metal flap like the one near the petrol cap sticking? One thing I did notice is that every time I have tried to fill up with petrol the gauge immediately drops down to empty and takes ages to register the correct amount, but then I don't trust the gauge anymore but the mechanic said that he had tested that and it registered fine. Please please help because this guy is really doing me a lot of favours to avoid me having to go and pay for an expensive diagnostic test at renault, which I just can't afford right now but I am having no luck!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and WAKE UP!!!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi it sounds very like the car is full of juice to me when you do fill up try not to put the nosel to far down the pipe so it does not trigger the stop switch on the pump and for your guage problem iam not sure but if its been tested and he said it fine well i do not no what else to say i hope this helps all the best Donald

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Donald for taking the time to read this (poor guy)
Anyway the problem with it clicking off all the time has happened for a while now and was happening when the tank was pretty much empty and would only let me fill around £4.00 before it started clicking away.
The first thing I thought was that it was me the way I am pumping but honestly I have done it every which way and been really delicate etc but it makes no sense that it would start having hassles after having it for three years and having no problems. . . . . . all ideas welcome though.....

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
have you tried shaking the car when the pump clicks off,then carry on filling up,have you tried putting a piece of hose pipe down the neck of the tank to test for a blockage,hope the police don't see you doing this or your nicked.they will think you are siphoning the fuel.just a thought,good luck.

A

·
0 Posts
Some times I find the same problem trying to fill the car and only able to do it slowly. I have only just found that placing the nozzle as forward as possible and leaving as much gap to the left while the nozzle is in the car helps and I can fill it up quickly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehe nice one. To be honest I had thought about sticking something down there just to see if there was anything there.
Never thought about shaking the car though I may try that but it would be nice to have a final fix though. I do get nervous now when going to gas stations!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts