Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 espace 2.0i Petrol....

The wing nut on top of the air filter housing has rusted up. Problem is the bolt is also turning with the wing nut.

Any ideas as to how I can open it ?

I could hacksaw it off but will I be able to put in a new bolt and wing nut after ?

I`m starting to regret buying an old espace lol

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Wing nut

Is the unit still attached to the engine - if so it would be better to grind it off as it would leave the bolt in situ., and then when you get it apart you maybe able to do some repairs (glue, cables, ties or something like that). Another method would be to cut round the area close to the wing nut making a hole allowing the wing nut to pass through - then afterwards use a large washer or piece of metal under the nut.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
think you may find if you turn it enough the whole bolt will come out with the wing nut or have you thought of using a nut spliter on the wingnut may do it with out damaging the threads

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Managed to fix this.

I took the whole air filter chamber out and took an angle grinder to the wing nut. brute force method lol

Luckily it was only a small bolt inside the chamber that was easy to renew, greased up too, to stop it rusting up again :)

thanks for replies :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts