Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Megane I took off the road last May because of covid, every few days started it up and moved it on the drive, after the cold spell the battery was flat, I am no mechanic, fully recharged the battery. The car still won't start because the steering wheel is locked and the computer screen looks different. I am assuming the computer needs resetting as the car has done nothing for nearly a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery sometimes doesn't recover, have you measured the voltage as it is now?
What does the computer screen say?
The screen is totally blank apart from stating the mileage, with my foot on the brake the screen says a brake failure the rest is blank apart from a sign stop in top left corner of the screen. have photographed the screen

·
Registered
348 Posts
The screen is totally blank apart from stating the mileage, with my foot on the brake the screen says a brake failure the rest is blank apart from a sign stop in top left corner of the screen. have photographed the screen
... ^^ ... which to me says the battery is too low on charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
battery chager said fully charged I'll check again in the morning and see what is working off the battery.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,366 Posts
That wont help you
Even a battery with 11 volts will allow most things to work
But wont be enough for the car to allow start conditions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Position I am in is the Megane is on a Sorn, press button start, steering wheel locked. Not insured, no Mot. Was expecting when covid dies down a bit to get back on the road again drive to Renault dealer for service already paid for and MOT. Don't understand how this has happened as car has been on my drive since early last year. I.m thinking a mobile reanault mechanic is what I will do as getting a dealer to come would be to costly. Any advice is welcome.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
26,159 Posts
Albert.... I would assume the battery despite what your charger says.
Quickest way to kill a battery, even a new one, is to leave it flat.
I suspect that if you remove it from charger and leave it an hour, it will not be showing 12v plus as it should.
Have you access to a multimeter to be able to check voltage?

Bronze...if your conditions are same as Albert's, same answer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If able to do so DancingDad, look at the Voltage of battery when cranking. Anything below 10 Volts, it is flat or bad.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
26,159 Posts
I'll try to get hold of one
When a battery is fully charged, it should show around 12.5v.
If you leave a good battery an hour or overnight, it should still read 12.5v (or within spitting distance)
If you put it in the car and turn on ignition, it should still read 12.5v
If you turn on headlamps, expect a minor drop...possibly to 11.5 or 12v.

I suspect that yours will not.

If able to do so DancingDad, look at the Voltage of battery when cranking. Anything below 10 Volts, it is flat or bad.
I tend to go more on sound of the crank but agree.... doesn't help people like Albert when they cannot get to crank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Friend arrived with a very big jump start pack, first try nothing, second jump, car started. His simple answer was awkward terminals to connect to. Earlier rang Renault dealer where I had bought three cars from, rather disappointed at response for advice.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Earlier rang Renault dealer where I had bought three cars from, rather disappointed at response for advice.
Glad you got it going.
Regarding the Renault dealer - their motivation may not be the same as yours! I.e. they want to make money from your predicament, even if you bought the car from them. If it's not still under warranty (either new or used) then they won't run to help if they've plenty of work right now. But they'd love to sell you a new(er) car by saying your current one is dud. Cynical maybe ... ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the advice, I am aware that the battery may well be knackered now but at least I feel it's not as bad as I first felt. Thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts