Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had wife's captur in at garage today as one of weights had come off and wheel needed rebalanced.
When I went to collect it the mechanic pointed out wear on inner edges off both front tyres. Said they tracked it and the tracking is spot on, this I would have expected as tracking was done when two front tyres changed three months ago.
Always had problems with car pulling slightly to right at low speed and was back in garage day after we bought it second hand with 30000 on clock.
Garage I was at was great and never charged me for balancing or for checking wheel alignment, he is however thinking that it could possibly be the camber that is out.
What is thoughts on this and has any one else experienced anything similar.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,794 Posts
How old is the car? Unlikely to be camber - negative camber is almost visible from the front. How did they do the tracking? Some tyre shops have a quick and easy drive over check. Find someone with a decent laser alignment set up. Potholes - maybe, kerbing - likely. Never know with second hand what the car has been through but a full laser alignment check will put your mind at ease. Steering pulling to one side does point to bad alignment. Don't confuse this pulling with road camber though.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,117 Posts
Camber could be it but is often an excuse...it isn't adjustable so nuffink to do with us.
As 2D says, look at the wheels, if tilting in at the top, possibly is camber, likely they will be visually vertical though and as such I would be looking elsewhere.
There could be a whole scientific treatise written on alignment, then an oik in a garage sets up gauges and wields a spanner, pronouncing it spot on.
Assuming gauges are set up properly (can be a big assumption), if only two wheels, best they will show is that front wheels are parallel (or slight toe in/out)
If 4 wheels, the rear cannot be adjusted but can show if any issues and then the fronts are adjusted so not only parallel but in line with rears.
You then have the oik setting to an opinion as to toe in or out and how much.... too much trouble to actually look up the specs which they should have with their alignment gauges
Tyre pressure and types (mixing makes on same axle) can affect wear.
Simple check, flat surface (car park) drive forward without holding wheel, which way does it go and how bad?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2013. Wheel Alignment was carried out using 4 wheel Hunter laser.
Wheels appear to sit further in at top when compared to my Megane.
Place up road has latest Bosch 3d Alignment, may take it there for second opinion.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,506 Posts
Might be worth checking the rear bushes on the control arms.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Funny enough, most guys would already be thinking this but would most likely go "nah".

The ball joints on the capturs are rubbish. They use exactly the same parts as the Clio MK4's. This is where in lies the problem. The captur is heavier and it's handling on the road is totally different to the Clio.

I've had the ball joints go on both sides bear enough at the same time.

Ball joints failing/failed = inner tyre wearing as camber will be affected. No by a whole lot, but enough to put it out by -2.

Get those checked by disconnecting the ball joints from the knuckles. If they feel free as a bird and are too easy to move - meaning play. They are goosed and unfortunately, you have 1 of 2 options.

1. Replace the ball joints by pressing them out
2. Replace the entire lower control arms.

2 would be the better option as you'll be renewing the control arm bushes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny enough, most guys would already be thinking this but would most likely go "nah".

The ball joints on the capturs are rubbish. They use exactly the same parts as the Clio MK4's. This is where in lies the problem. The captur is heavier and it's handling on the road is totally different to the Clio.

I've had the ball joints go on both sides bear enough at the same time.

Ball joints failing/failed = inner tyre wearing as camber will be affected. No by a whole lot, but enough to put it out by -2.

Get those checked by disconnecting the ball joints from the knuckles. If they feel free as a bird and are too easy to move - meaning play. They are goosed and unfortunately, you have 1 of 2 options.

1. Replace the ball joints by pressing them out
2. Replace the entire lower control arms.

2 would be the better option as you'll be renewing the control arm bushes.
Lower control arms have been replaced

·
Registered
793 Posts
Lower control arms have been replaced
OEM or after market? Just because they were replaced, doesn't mean they are good.

Changed my for after market. They lasted no more than a couple of months. I've since gone back to OEM arms. After market parts aren't great when it comes to suspension components.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OEM or after market? Just because they were replaced, doesn't mean they are good.

Changed my for after market. They lasted no more than a couple of months. I've since gone back to OEM arms. After market parts aren't great when it comes to suspension components.
They are OEM, I always try to avoid aftermarket.

·
Registered
793 Posts
They are OEM, I always try to avoid aftermarket.
If that's the case, it's down to tracking. There is no camber adjustment on the captur or standard's models of the Clio MK4's (excluding RS and Trophy models).

They have a fixed mcpherson shock that connects to the knuckle and they have a top mounting plate that you screw 3 bolts into. The holes aren't elongated or cut to allow for camber adjustment. They are centred to always get the correct camber for the stock suspension setup.

So this would indicate your toeing in and by sounds of it, the 4 wheel alignment place has done a basic 4 wheel alignment. Kwik Fit use a Hunter Hawkeye alignment machine. That's the best for tracking. It can align each individual wheel. For your car, just the front. As the rear camber is non adjustable. If the bushes start failing on your rear axle. Then yes, you would get negative camber. But any good tracking place would tell you this. Yours is most likely good if your rear tyres aren't showing signs of incorrect wear.

Basic things to check for tyres wear.

If inner tyres are wearing, this indicates either ball joints, control arms or tracking has failed or could be out.

If tracking is correct - could be a problem with inner or outer track arms.

If the tyre if toe out, that indicates shock assembly problem.

Lastly, if the car is knocking and sounds like it's coming from all around the car. It's most likely ARB end links.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem may be solved. Took it the other day to a different garage that uses the Bosch 3d system and was present while it was carried out. The alignment was well out.
Returned to garage where I oringinaly got new tyres and the wheel alignment done in first place and wheel alignment checked the other week when I was told it was ok.
Got speaking to one of the workers who let slip that their alignment set up had not been callibrated in well over a year.
Complaint was emailed to their head office who very quickly agreed to replace the two front tyres. They are now contacing those who had alignment carried out to get it checked.

·
Premium Member
Clio Mk IV 1.5 dCi MediaNav S/S 2013
921 Posts
That’s what I call a result..

·
Registered
793 Posts
Problem may be solved. Took it the other day to a different garage that uses the Bosch 3d system and was present while it was carried out. The alignment was well out.
Returned to garage where I oringinaly got new tyres and the wheel alignment done in first place and wheel alignment checked the other week when I was told it was ok.
Got speaking to one of the workers who let slip that their alignment set up had not been callibrated in well over a year.
Complaint was emailed to their head office who very quickly agreed to replace the two front tyres. They are now contacing those who had alignment carried out to get it checked.
Most likely too much toe out. It causes feathering on the inner tyre tread. Get them to pay either for new front tyres, or part fund new front tyres.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,117 Posts
Result.
Hope they refunded the cost of tracking as well!

And shows why tracking can be a minefield.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts