Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys any help appreciated. Have 2010 fluence 1.5 dci. Randomly when get into the car and put key fob in slot and let the car set itself up and the message reads OK on the display, press the start button and car dies altogether. All dash lights go off and wont lock or unlock at all. Open bonnet press down on battery terminals and car starts to almost reset itself, i lock and then unlock it. I repeat the above procedure and it starts and drives fine for another period of time. Could be 2 days or 2 weeks before happens again. Any ideas guys? Thanks
Cormac

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,961 Posts
Loose battery connection
Poor earths
Worn cable to starter shorting to earth
Dying battery.

Take your pick, those off the top of my head.
1 is easy to check
2 can be shown if next time you connect a jump lead from battery negative to engine block, bypassing earths
3 physical look for wear, scorch marks and the like
4, get battery and charging system tested.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,961 Posts
TBH, given what you have written, I suspect you will not need to go past #1, battery terminals loose.

Get a spanner of right size, probably 10mm.
Loosen each terminal clamp, push and twist a little to firmly seat over/on terminal, tighten.
Should have a gap where the terminal is split and top of battery post should be level or higher then terminal clamp.
It is not enough for the clamp screw to be tight, the clamp part of the terminal must be tight on the post..which is tapered so further down clamp is, better the connection/tightness/security

Do each one in turn, if you don't pull terminals from posts, should not need to worry on radio code or the like.
But do not leave keys in car while doing this in case it self locks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a mill. Negative terminal was loose...coulda pulled it off by hand. Tightened up now. Should be the end of it. Thanks again.
Cormac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts