Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team,
My car insurance is up for renewal soon and I'm going through the tedious process of comparing small print.
One item has caught my eye, several of the large insurers, e.g. Zurich, DirectLine specify they will, at their discretion, make repairs using non OEM parts. I'm wondering how that affects Renault's warranty, my Kadjar still has 2 years to run on the OEM warranty.
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I know insurers and OEM's try to wriggle out of any situation that will cost them money.
Any experiences?

Rob.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,096 Posts
unfortunatley you are only going to get assumptions and guesses on that question here, your best bet it to go straight to the horses mouth, your local Renault garage, and ask them the question and see what they say, they are the ones who will be honouring any repairs under warranty

Reactions: Brendan W

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
26,016 Posts
It was passed yonks ago and is under Eu law that after market parts can be used as long as a vat registered garage is used..so why should an insurance company dispute this fact..in 2016 the automotive oil change association lodged a complaint against Kia because Hyundai Kia were saying that aftermarket filters should not be used on their cars..and 3 years later kia are still telling owners that if the use of after market filters are used their warranty may become voided..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,442 Posts
and 3 years later kia are still telling owners that if the use of after market filters are used their warranty may become voided..
But are blowing up aftermarket filters!
In their case it is that they are not telling customers that aftermarket may fek the engine.

Car makers cannot lock customers into only OEM parts and servicing for warrantee.
But can make life difficult.
For instance, in an accident it may only be an easily replaceable panel like a bumper needs swapping.
But then painting is needed. And many makers only reckon that their approved paintshops can repaint in a manner that preserves paintwork warrantee.

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
26,016 Posts
But are blowing up aftermarket filters!
In their case it is that they are not telling customers that aftermarket may fek the engine.
Hyundai /Kia have now again increased the thickness of the steel in their genuine filters that are made by Mann korea..and the problem is on GDI engines only..and it was with their filters as well but they wern't tellin it is fake filters chinese junk on ebay..hence the increase in thickness..H on the inside wont be long before the chinese cotton on to that one as well..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts