Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 MEGANE SPORT HATCHBACK 1.6 VVT Dynamique 3dr.

This morning whilst my partner were taking our son to nursery, she went to start the car in the usual way (card in, foot on brake and press start), this time instead of starting the car made a grumbling noise, the brake was fully up and wouldnt move and on the dash said "select neutral". Even though the car was already in neutral, when i arrived at the car 20 mins later i tried as after 10 times trying to do this i put my foot on the clutch, and the car started. Can anyone please shed some light on waht the problem may be

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regard

Kris

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Hi there, might be able to advise but could you explain what you mean by:

the brake was fully up and wouldnt move
Also, when you say you put the clutch in do you mean you put clutch in then pressed button and it started as normal? Or did you put the clutch in whilst it was already trying to start?

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andy,

Sorry should of explained better, When you put your foot down on the clutch pedal and then pressed the start button, the car ticked over and started. Ever since we bought the car they told us to start it by pressing the brake pedal fully down and pressing start. This morning the brake pedal was stuck at the top of the movement and would not press down, this has never happened before and i only tried pressing the clutch pedal down out just because i was running out of ideas to get the car started

Thanks,
Kris

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Ah I see. Well when you start the Megane, you can either press the clutch or the brake. I use the clutch for two reasons:

- If for some reason you leave the car in gear or there is any sort of problem with the gearbox it eliminates the risk of further damage / shunting forwards into another parked car.

- I was told by my local garage that the switch on the brake pedal fails more often. Mine went a while back, and it cost me about £80 to have replaced.

The switch might not have gone on yours though, as you say the brake pedal seems to have been stuck in the upper position which sounds odd. Unless somebody's been pumping the brake pedal with the engine off! :)

Were you able to depress the brake pedal as usual once the car had started?

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all your help with this. The brake pedal worked normally as soon as the engine started so maybe my partner had been pumping it when the engine was off. I never realised you could start the car with either pedal but will be using the clutch pedal to start from now on. We have the car booked in at a local garage to check it over but i really appreciate your help with this

Many thanks
Kris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts