Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key in the ignition there is a click under the bonnet and then nothing happens. The battery isn't flat and it won't start from a jump start either.

Has the starter motor gone kaput?

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
The clicking sound normally indicated that the solenoid is not working, this could be the problem. You could try a direct electrical contact to the starter motor this would tell if the starter motor is ok.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a total novice when it comes to doing anything under the bonnet - are the earth contacts the wires connecting to the battery?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi there, it might be worth just taking the terminals off the battery and giving them a clean before you start to look at the starter motor. I had exactly the same problem on my old car, the contacts on the battery worked loose and were a bit cacked up, a bit of a clean up with some wire wool and all was fine. It's worth a go just to be sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks will try this - the easier to do the better. I don't fancy paying a garage to do something that I can easily do myself.

Will give what I can a clean and see how I get on. Thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
vicky
You will have to disconnect the battery anyway if you need to check the contacts on the starter motor so do the both jobs at same time. You'll have to get underneath to check the starter motor connection. There is only one large diameter cable going to the starter from the battery but DISCONNECT the battery before doing anything otherwise there will be big sparks flying if the cable touches the chassis (which is used to earth the whole car). If you are in any doubt leave it to an experienced person.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts