Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a full car wrap colour change. There is a lot of mixed reviews out there regarding it.

Just wanted some opinions and feedback about it really.

Alot of people say that you dont need to inform DVLA about the colour change as it's temporary. But surely, if you're making a complete colour change, wouldnt it be better if the authorities knew about it so that you dont unnecessarily get pulled over by the cops and then have to keep explaining yourself to them?

Why do people not want to inform DVLA?

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
nothing wrong with getting it done, protects the paint work i guess

personally i would at least ring the dvla and see where they stand

like you say i would sooner not be getting pulled for it

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
if you change the colour then you must inform the dvla and obtain an updated v5. I'm not sure where the "temporary" bit comes in, maybe someone with more IQ than me can confirm, but I was sure until I read your post that ANY change of the colour, or main colour of a Vehicle had to be reported to the DVLA.

I know a friend of mine had to report a change when he had his taxi ad-wrapped.

As far as wrapping itself, it can look great if well done, but bloody awful if cheaply done. There are a lot of unskilled cowboys starting to get into this area, be careful.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
Why do people not want to inform DVLA?
I'd suspect a combination of laziness and ignorance, being the main culprits.

ANPR machines are configured to give a summary of vehicle details - one of which is the colour. If the colour is different - the Police will think you have cloned another vehicle's identity, and will give you a hard time.

Do you fancy a colur change because you're fed-up with the colour the car or is the bodywork a bit tired?

Paul

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
That's a fair enough reason.

Just make sure the paint has been treated before covering it, as any rust will continue to grow even after it's been wrapped.

You don't want any expensive nasty surprises.

Paul

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wondering how the wrappers go about wrapping the parking sensors, door handles and around the emblems and badges?

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I'd guess that all future washing would have to be a sponge and bucket job?
A pressure washer might lift a join or an edge and then you would be banjaxed.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
A pressure washer might lift a join or an edge and then you would be banjaxed.
That shouldn't happen if the job's been done correctly; they will overlap joins in doors/bonnet/tailgate/etc.

There's a guy I'd have no hesitation in recommending - but he's on teh west coast of Scotland.

Paul

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,244 Posts
A friend of mine drives a black taxi in London. He's always had his cabs fully wrapped with advertising.....but curiously they will only do this on Black paintwork only (if you've a different colour the cabs can only carry door panel ads)...the paintwork has to be perfect.....and after the advertising contract has expired and the wrapping is removed they respray the whole cab again (but I don't know why..whether it lifts paint or if it leaves a dull finish etc). Incidentally my friend didn't have any issues with the vinyl lifting, and being a taxi it was always being jet washed in the petrol stations every few days.
I was watching on TV just a few nights back on Quest channel where they showed a car being vinyl wrapped (How do they do it? I think its called). As they often repeat programs you might catch it again or check out You Tube. The guy in the program unscrewed and removed all parts that were not to be covered and used 4 sheets of vinyl ie centre roof and down each side doors / bonnet and wings / tailgate and wings.
Definitely a skilled task.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
i have seen a car being wrapped, in gold carbon fibre effect wrap. OK it sounds awful but it actually looked quite good when done, and certainly made the car stand out from the crowd. The wrap cost about £800, IIRC.

The material used is very clever, it can be stretched or shrunk around curves, into scoops etc. The panel is sprayed with a releasing agent prior to wrapping which allows the film to be lifted an re-positioned as required. A slight texture in the underside of the film then allows any air bubbles to be rubbed out, and allows the releasing agent to evaporate. Once it has done, the film is pretty much permanent. It doesn't lift, flake, chip or crack if done properly. All done in around two hours.

As previously mentioned, the paintwork needs to be sound and smooth. Any existing stone ships will need to be filled with a hi build primer or similar and rubbed smooth. Even the slightest imperfection in the paintwork will show through the wrap.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
By colour change,what do you mean?
You can get gold as mentioned above,full chrome..or were you thinking carbon matt black?
The black you would need a fairly sporty/interceptor car ..mho.
You could consider chameleon vinyl wrap red/blue or red bronze.
They are the colour shade variations depending on panel curvature and viewing angle.
Since your car is red I think? a motor vehicle notification might not be necessary.

The application isnt too bad once youve done it a few times,but a whole car would definitely be a challenge.
Ithink even the professionally done job wont be guaranteed more than 5 years.They say it can start to detioriorate after as little as 2-3 years.Mine is still fine but its less than 2 years on.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=133581

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=115870&page=13

edit: Wrapping metal or painted plastic is much easier than the parts Ive done because the surfaces are smooth.Like the B pillars on the doors work well.
If doing it yourself definitely get the "bubble free" type.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Afters:
You will have to be very carefull of the "plastic" finish.
Soap and water is fine and wash and wax products seem ok but :

It is vinyl and quite thin. What might happen around the fuel filler area over time gawd knows.
Tar spots you can take off iff your fast but have soap and water ready right after removal.
I havent had any deep frontal damage on the metal bonnet of the meg 3 in 14k ,some on the painted plastic but thats easily fixed.
I have also had it on "loose chippings 20 mph max" and some tosser coming along the opposite way doing 50 spraying me with chips,but nothing aside from superficial so far

1 - 14 of 14 Posts