Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my satnav is now officially driving me crazy :mad: I had two red lights and 'rec error' in the diagnostics so I got a new aerial. I plugged it in and hey presto - two green lights and a working satnav - all was fine - for two days :mad: Now it is intermittent. Sometimes it works, other times it won't, but mostly it won't. It picks up either 1, 2 or 3 satellites, and more often than not the disk light is red.

Can someone please tell me - should the disk light be green all the time? Or only when the disk is actually being read? I'm wondering if it's a problem with the cd drive, in that it isn't reading the disk properly? Should my next step be a new cd drive? Or maybe an up to date languages disk to update the software? As my languages disk is version 3.5.

Can anyone please help :confused:

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The disk light should be green all the time there is a disk in the drive, i.e. all the time. If it is not there is potentially problem with the reader/disk.

Number of satelites should be fine so long as there are 2 or more. I promise I will check mine when I get into my car. Have broken track rod and buckled wheel thanks to lovely hole in the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh sorry to hear that - the roads are a joke aren't they?

I've just been out to somewhere about 10 miles away. All the way there everything was fine - both green lights and perfect navigation. On the way back the disk light was green but the aerial light was red, yet it still directed me home perfectly!! I even looked in the diagnostics and it said it had zero satellites! It's so weird. Yesterday the disk light was hardly green at all and nothing worked - today it was green the entire time!!

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
If it's the same as mine there is an inertial navigation backup, using the compass and roadspeed to measure approximately where you are on the map.

I wonder if there are faulty or loose connections somewhere in the system, if you can reach round to where the gps antenna connects to the cdrom get the car and everything started up and touch it/move it around gently to see what happens to the signal light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unless you are travelling great distances you should not need the nav. disc in the radio all the time. The radio will ask for the disk if it needs it. My antenna failed and I replaced it with a Tom Tom miniature antenna bought of ebay for a fiver. Had to change the end plug by cutting the one off the faulty antenna and reconnecting it to the new one (very fine coax) routing the wire along the dash at the windscreen ,down the passenger side panel and behind the glove box. The antenna is one inch square, sits dead centre of the windscreen and the wire is totally invisible. Works a treat. Seven/ eight satellites. Check your position of the antenna and check your connections. It sounds like a poor connection to me. Good luck.P.S. You bought a new aerial? What type and where is it positioned?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Location can be important particularly if you have a 'silvered' front screen which designed to reduces heat and also reflects sat signals. I have mine up behind the mirror on the black printed part of the screen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got my aerial down the bottom of the windscreen on the dash. It's all very strange. I had it all working for about a week. The the satellite light went red, but the disc light was still green - and it was still working - which made no sense at all to me. Then about another week later both lights went red and now nothing again. Every now and then the disc light goes green but that's it. I can't work it out, which is why I thought I'd give the software update a go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with the last post,the position could be critical if you have the heat reflective windscreen,I think they are known as metal sintered screens. My car has an ordinary screen so replacement antenna works a treat. I would still look for a bad connection and also try to reposition the antenna. I have a sharks fin antenna for the roof that will replace the original. I didnt fit it due to the amount of work involved. If you are interested in it then pm me. Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've bought 2 new dash aeriels - neither work although they both did for a couple of weeks - I've tried positioning them all over the place, even on the roof outside for testing puproses lol. Even when they worked they only had a couple of satellites - 3 at best. I also bought a shark fin aerial but the connection is wrong so it's sitting here redundant. I've pretty much given up with it but I would still love to get it working if I can - the software update or a new disc unit in the dash are the next things to try I think.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
OK, my satnav is now officially driving me crazy :mad: I had two red lights and 'rec error' in the diagnostics so I got a new aerial. I plugged it in and hey presto - two green lights and a working satnav - all was fine - for two days :mad: Now it is intermittent. Sometimes it works, other times it won't, but mostly it won't. It picks up either 1, 2 or 3 satellites, and more often than not the disk light is red.

Can someone please tell me - should the disk light be green all the time? Or only when the disk is actually being read? I'm wondering if it's a problem with the cd drive, in that it isn't reading the disk properly? Should my next step be a new cd drive? Or maybe an up to date languages disk to update the software? As my languages disk is version 3.5.

Can anyone please help :confused:
The disk icon should be green at all times. It can go red if you are not on a recognised road.

Sounds like you still have a problem with the sat signal. What type of aerial did you get? The sat system can follow your route without a signal for short distances (like in tunnels).

Ian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the little matchbox type black thing. Can't get a signal with it anywhere now, despite getting one with it originally. I assume that means it's the unit in the glovebox at fault?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
The disk icon should be green at all times. It can go red if you are not on a recognised road.

Sounds like you still have a problem with the sat signal. What type of aerial did you get? The sat system can follow your route without a signal for short distances (like in tunnels).

Ian
Being on a driveway some distance from the road can in some cases be enough to make it go red.

I have also seen it take over ten minutes to re-establish itself if I've removed the disk. Leave it for a time to see if it settles. This is particularly an issue with a non original disk. Try cleaning the player unit with a normal CD cleaning disk. It will report an error but not before cleaning it first.

After ten minutes check the diagnosis menu and see how many sats you get. If none try temporary putting the aerial unit outside the car on the roof and see if it gets them to prove the aerial is working .

Spicing the cable can be very lossy I got a small adapter cable from an amateur radio rally for a couple of pence.

Ignore the I/O bus error message in the diagnosis menu, mine does that too and has done so from day one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts