Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone or everyone come across this behaviour?

If I stop at traffic lights with my guidance switched on, the satnav carries on as if the car hasn't stopped. Eventually it comes back to position but sometimes it takes longer than is acceptable. I mean imagine central London in heavy traffic and you are stuck at a traffic light and that awful voice going on at you and eventually says, "You have arrived; You have arrived; You have arrived;" when you are still 3 or four streets away waiting for the lights to change. Basically, it seems to navigate ahead of the car, and while in map mode, the locating arrow flits up and down the route like a yoyo.

Another curiosity is that the same voice often repeats the same instruction ad nausiem and she gets on my pip....Grrrr! I mean, do I need to be told 10 times or more to take the first exit at the next roundabout? I may be a little bit on the thick side but it does make me want to yell back at her something like " I HEARD YOU THE F***ING FIRST TIME, YOU DARNED JACKASS".

I am using 2003 map disc with TMC enabled. Do yours behave in the same way?

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Mine never behaved like this. It sounds like you've lost the speed pulse signal, and the system is doing its best to work out where you are without it.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for replying you guys.

If it is a speed pulse missing, shouldn't this be fixed when rebooting the system after taking out the disc? I'll look for a Carminat helpline or something maybe I'll get lucky. I think what I have in it is NAVTEQ but I'll look at it tomorrow. It's been rebooted more than once and it still does it.

It actually sounds like an old-fashioned stuck-record sometimes and it doesn't always repeat itself that many times (that's to be fair to Carminat). I haven't played with it that much and I recently bought a Nuvi 360 which I prefer. I actually had both of them running on a quick trip to Coventry yesterday and it was quite amusing listening to the pair of voice almost "competing" for my attention or "approval" even!!!!!

Clever these Chinese hey?

L

·
0 Posts
I was always told the Renault satnav was crap, so instead of getting a gooner with it I decided without and put my money on a Tomtom instead, and very happy I did :d

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I was always told the Renault satnav was crap, so instead of getting a gooner with it I decided without and put my money on a Tomtom instead, and very happy I did :d
Most current after-market sat-nav systems will wipe the floor with the CD based navigation system in the Lag 2 phase 1. Let's face it, it dates back to the Lag 1 and probably beyond - its roots in the very first Phillips 'Carin' system are still blindingly obvious. Route calculation times are poor, and re-routing often takes so long that you've missed the exit that it wants you to take. 2D mapping doesn't cut it either in this day and age - I thought 3D maps were a gimmick until I got TomTom, then I realised that they do a grand job of showing you what's up close in detail, while still letting you see a reasonable way into the distance.

The new DVD based system in the Lag 2 phase 2 is a different kettle of fish. It outclasses TomTom in almost all areas. It's not touchscreen, but it does have the best 'twiddle and click' interface I've ever come across, and of course many of the commands and destinations can be voice activated (assuming that your voice activation button works - hopefully mine is being sorted this week.) TomTom still had advantages, namely the fact that you can use it in other vehicles and the ability to add speed cameras and other downloaded POI categories. But the new Renault system beats my TomTom 700 in just about every other area, including screen size, image quality and clarity, speed of route calculation and rerouting. What's more, the hands-free phone functionality actually does a reasonable job, which is more than I could ever say for the TT.

And of course TomTom's portability is both one of its biggest assets and one of its biggest drawbacks: Having to remove the unit and all traces of the mount every time you leave the car is a royal pain, but unfortunately necessary in modern UK society if you don't want to end up with a broken window. Nobody can realistically steal the factory system without stealing the whole car.

To be honest, if I didn't already have the TomTom, I'd probably have bought a dedicated GPS speed camera warning system and been perfectly happy with that and the factory navigation. I hang onto the TT because it's handy for use in hire cars or the Clio, it often gives a useful 'second opinion' on routes, and is still handy if I ever have a hire car, or need to find the nearest KFC :d

For Vass: Do you still have the original factory firmware disc kicking around (the one that lets you chance the voice and other things)? If a reboot doesn't work, it might be worth reinstalling the firmware. I found the disc for my previous L2 the other day, and while I've no doubt lost it again, I'll have a dig if you need it. It's the original for the car (so I'm not trading bootleg discs here) and it's yours for free if you need it.

L

·
0 Posts
Points taken on the TT Dave as it is a right ol pain to take the whole thing out if we want to leave the gooner in a less secure area, even more so with the now attached external antenna which I purchased, but fortunately the power and antenna wires do tuck fairly tidily and descreetly into the lines of the dash, I do also appreciate that as with most technologies including satnav system they do come on leaps and bounds as new car models are released, so hopefully by the time I get another car the inbuilt satnav should be good enough to make me ditch the TT in favour, and who knows in years to come with the progesses in technology eventually the satnav may not just be a coloured road on the screen but an actual image of your position and surroundings

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I bought the permanent docking kit a while ago, and installed it using a home-made custom mount on the dash (it hooks securely behind the trim and doesn't require drilling.) The TomTom shoe is permanently bolted to that, and I've left it in place in some pretty dodgy areas. I keep meaning to rig up something that will let me disguise it as a can of pop in its holder :d

Touch wood, I've yet to have a problem (but never say never.) I don't think the crooks actually recognise a dash mounted TT shoe - they're too busy looking out for the suction cup attached to the windscreen.

I've PIN coded my GO now as well. I don't know how effective this is, but at least as mine's a 700, there should be more to disabling it than buying a new SD card.

As for the docking kit - I'm about to rip the damned thing out and replace it with the standard antenna shoe. Most of the supposed advantages of the docking kit don't actually work properly (e.g. voice through the radio speakers) and those that do (e.g. link night view to headlights) turn out to be less useful than you imagined when you bought the unit. In fairness, this kit worked well in my L2 Phase 1 apart from the CANbus noise through the speakers, but it's been an absolute nightmare in the Phase 2. I've even hacked the PDK loom to take power straight from the central locking switch - that's cured the 'switching off randomly and frequently' fault, but it still manages to light the front panel LED but run the battery flat. The TT works fine and charges normally when hooked onto a normal shoe and charged with the cigar lighter adapter. I can only conclude that the TomTom PDK is a badly concieved and badly implemented piece of tat :steam:

Anyway, I'm rambling again :p

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For Vass: Do you still have the original factory firmware disc kicking around (the one that lets you chance the voice and other things)? If a reboot doesn't work, it might be worth reinstalling the firmware. I found the disc for my previous L2 the other day, and while I've no doubt lost it again, I'll have a dig if you need it. It's the original for the car (so I'm not trading bootleg discs here) and it's yours for free if you need it.
The car only ever had one disk (no second one for the voices etc) and initially it wasn't supplied with TMC. I still have the original disc (if we're talking about the same one) but thanks for the offer Mr Nelson Suh!:) You are most kind. [Trying to think as I type... (is that multi-tasking?)... is there actually a one-step reset-to-factory-settings button anywhere on the Carm?

I recently tried TomTom One GB, Navsure Cheapie, and now bought a Nuvi 360. They are all quite a way from perfect and the first two took me to the wrong place on more than one occasion.... of course, characteristically, I ended up doubting if it was the unit or the operator (me) inputting the wrong postcodes or addresses but I decided against the first one because of that very reason, the second because the screen kept getting garbled (while the voice kept navigating correctly) and now the Nuvi is hopefully going to do the trick but I'm not as sure as I was a week ago. In fairness to the Carminat, if I don't have (because Renault didn't supply) the right discs, I can't really blame the unit and I don't really feel it would benefit anyone if I were to write to the makers again.

If you put me in front of a firing-squad and made me say honestly which I preferred, I think it might be the easy-cheap-and-cheerful Halford's own-brand Navsure (apart from the screen problem which didn't happen when I disabled all the POIs.) Oh! I forgot to mention that I had an Astra Bertone (2.2 engine) satnav before the Guna and I don't remember it giving me any problems; but that might be just my failing memory at fault.

The problem with the repeated instructions happened with both the old and the new discs. The bobbing marker and the 'advance' navigation also, so after looking in the mirror and reflecting for a couple of minutes, I don't believe that rebooting is going to cure it.

Excluding the Bertone, that's four I have experienced and they are all far from perfect... on the other hand, they are all much better than trying to read large maps (or small AtoZ books come to think of it) while driving. So I have to wait and see if my nuvi will frustrate me enough to ditch it out of the window and get done for littering.

These experiences are quite interesting so keep 'em coming if you have more to say.

L

·
0 Posts
Well as far as my experiences go with my TT GO300 I've been pretty pleased with it, and I think if anybody had an axe to grind with it it will always be the docking shoe and the obvious suction cup and the security of the whole thing and it is a shame that TT don't make manufacturer model related solutions to make it more secure.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I've had some trouble with TomTom and the postcode lookup, to the point where I no longer trust it. A couple of weeks ago, it took me to a housing estate behind the place I was supposed to be visiting, but with no access whatsoever to the site. On another occasion, it told me I needed to be on the other side of a bridge that had been closed for roadworks - the detour was a half hour drive. On getting to the other side of the bridge, the place I was supposed to be visiting wasn't there, and on phoning them I discovered that I needed to be on the side of the bridge I'd started out at. So there was an hour wasted in total.

If I'm able to speak to someone at the location prior to going and they don't have a house number (often the case with commercial premises) then I'll ask them for the street name as well as the postcode. If TT agrees with the street name I've been given, then I'll generally accept that it's going to get me there. Better still, if they're on a long road I'll just ask them for the nearest street that joins it, and use the 'navigate to junction' feature on the car's sat-nav.

I should add that I have one of the first TT 700's (I ordered it pre-release) and I know they did a major map update not long after they were released. Maybe the postcode search is more accurate on the later ones.

L

·
0 Posts
I know I did a major software update on my 300 not so long ago which changed a few features on it so maybe worth checking on TT's site for a software update on the 700 as well.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I've got the latest software (downloaded TomTom Home, and now it auto-upgrades when updates become available.) But I still have the original maps that came with my unit and these don't upgrade along with the operating software.

There was talk of them making the later maps available as a cost upgrade, but I don't know if they ever did and I never really looked into it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Laguna 2 phase 1

My sat nav keeps throwing the dvd out and then it says no disc, have taken it apart and cleaned the pick up lense, but still the same ( tried another disk) can I get a replacement laser or is it an ebay jobby. HELP

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My sat nav keeps throwing the dvd out and then it says no disc, have taken it apart and cleaned the pick up lense, but still the same ( tried another disk) can I get a replacement laser or is it an ebay jobby. HELP
They usually only do that when the cd is a copy and a file is missing. I doubt very much if there is anything wrong with your reader so you should try and read the disc via your pc. if it is recognised it should be ok and I would try it again. If it fails, try copying it with Nero or similar and then try again. I hope you didn't damage anything when you took it apart because they are very sensitive. I was going to ask you if you had chacked for foreign bodies (these polacks get in everywhere you know) but if you've dismantled it, I should think that you didn't find anything fouling the mechanism. You also need to chech your data cable hasn't come off or been damaged somehow. Good luck and let us now how you progress. I'm assuming you are talking about the reader i your glovebox of course(at least that's where mine is in the 02 Laguna).

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try switching the demo mode off, as this caught me out when I got mine.
Just been through my book and can't find demo anywhere.

Do we have a different Carminat unit? Now I can't find the code for entering the settings.... I thought it is different from the radio code????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts