Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just done the system check on my sat nav because the TMC is always red. Maybe because my 2003 disk doesn't have TMC marked on it?

Anyway, I was in the user settings and function tests, and bus check. When it finished the IIC was listed as failed:mad:

Does anyone know what IIC stands for and is it expensive?

Many thanks

Nev

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hi all,

I've just done the system check on my sat nav because the TMC is always red. Maybe because my 2003 disk doesn't have TMC marked on it?

Anyway, I was in the user settings and function tests, and bus check. When it finished the IIC was listed as failed:mad:

Many thanks

Nev
The 2003 disk is not TMC compliant. I had the same disk and then got a later version of ebay and its now shows TMC in green. Haven't had a chance to try it for real yet as I've not been in any traffic jams since it was fitted (lucky me)

Len

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Sorry to say it, but I have to wonder why people go to so much trouble to get access to TMC - a system which, in my experience, is wrong at least as often as it's right.

I have the 'live' feed on my TrafficMaster YQ, and I regularly see events staying on the TMC service long after they've cleared from TrafficMaster. Most users won't get the opportunity to find this out, but TMC regularly diverts you around a problem that's long since gone. What's more, TMC will often divert you around roadworks 24/7 when they may only cause delays at peak times. This was certainly the case with the recent M56 roadworks.

I didn't have TMC on the old CD system, but if my new DVD Carminat system is anything to go by, the alternative routes chosen are often ludicrous and likely to take even longer than just sitting out the delay. It'll happily try to send me through the middle of Warrington in rush hour to avoid a two mile stretch of 25mph traffic on the M6 :crazy:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't use TMC at all, and yes, I'd rely on it more if I didn't have the TrafficMaster. But I wouldn't go out of my way and certainly wouldn't spend money to get TMC to work.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Hi all,

Many thanks

Nev
I'm guessing you didn't have your radio switched on when you did the test? The IIC (or I2C - I 'squared' C) is a component interconnect bus developed by Philips. In this case it is the way that the Sat Nav communicates with the Radio for things like the display of the radio channel, volume, etc.

Try the test again with the radio switched on.

By the way, if you suspect problems with your TMC there is a diagnostics screen that shows signal level and quality.
A RED indicator show that you have a TMC disk but that there is no signal (from Classic FM)

Ian

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't have your radio switched on when you did the test? The IIC (or I2C - I 'squared' C) is a component interconnect bus developed by Philips. In this case it is the way that the Sat Nav communicates with the Radio for things like the display of the radio channel, volume, etc.

Try the test again with the radio switched on.

By the way, if you suspect problems with your TMC there is a diagnostics screen that shows signal level and quality.
A RED indicator show that you have a TMC disk but that there is no signal (from Classic FM)

Ian
Disagree about the bit about red indicator. Renualt didn't sign up to an agreement for the TMC service until August 2004
see www.itisholdings.com/pdf/itisrenault050804.pdf

My 2004 Laguna came with a 2003 disk and the TMC option was red up to I upgraded the disk. Didn't realise Clasic FM was the data provider thanks for that bit of info.

Len

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hi all,

Many thanks

Nev
Did a check on my SatNav and it also comes up IIC failed but the TMC works OK with the newer disk. The radio was on.

Len

1 - 6 of 6 Posts