Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my Carminat ToMTom Live seems to have no GPS. I need to identify the GPS (satellite) cable to see what connector type is needed for a replacement antenna.

I bought a Trafic 2013 with campervan conversion (having pop top roof). The replacement roof has no antenna!
I'm thinking that was the GPS antenna, as Renault service guide "technical note 3729a" has picture of Trafic roof aerial, with note below saying "The satellite aerial wire is very fragile".

The Carminat ToMTom is type having display with vertical SD card slot (large type) to right of screen; with a CD/radio below, and a remote.
The GPS status screen has 14 empty grey boxes, which I guess would each normally display the signal strength for any satellites in view.

I believe (though haven't looked yet) the display has 4 coax connections (colour coded brownish-red, blue, white yellow), and the CD radio a single connector.
Another thread, covering replacing the cd radio, said the satellite receiver was in the cd radio box. So maybe a thats a combined radio and GPS aerial. My VHF radio is also poor.

If Live version is over GSM, I guess there must also be a GSM antenna somewhere.

A new roof aerial would be difficult as would need a long cable that would have to flex as roof lifted. So guess I'd need one to go on dashboard or inside windscreen.

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
The Tragic with TomTom Has a special aerial base.
Integrated Radio Aerial, GSM AND GPS receiver. £140 ish to buy :frown2:
The Pop Top installer Should have Relocated this, or at least given it back. :frown2:

I would Get an ebay magnetic GPS aerial (in fact I have one, for my stand alone TomTom unit) & an aftermarket radio Aerial (Amplified) which is why there are 4 Connectors.

HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nottnoc.
Combo aerial would explain things. Conversion was 2 owners back, so no idea fate of original.

I hope SatNav can be used without a Live subscription. Then wouldn't need GSM.

Is your magnetic GPS aerial external or internal mounted?

Do you know which of the 4 is GPS connector. (GPS +FM + GSM =3 connectors?? unless FM aerial connects to CD radio).
Does an amplified aerial need a separate supply (or volts via signal connector?).

If you happen to know correct connector type, it would save me having to disassemble twice.

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
Google Fakra Connector. For Radio side.
NFI what the Sat Nav needs. Never owned one.
Perhaps Google Sat Nav Connectors to Identify, There's Loads suitable for that frequency & often manufacturer specific.
Can you post piccy's of the ones you have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Delay posting as member id had vanished - re-register with same id was allowed!

Took some photos.

The screen is used both for radio-cd info and for the satnav. The satnav is controlled by a poxy remote (battery powered) which I suspect would a real pain in the behind to use!!

With help of https://www.rosenberger.com/0_documents/de/codes/codes_coding_auto_fakra.pdf

GPS is blue
GSM is Bordeaux(purple)
Radio with phantom supply = White

Yellow on back of display is a short lead with white Fakra on other end. This connects to radio (am/fm). Connecting any short wire, to yellow connector, boosts fm signal.
Having the am/fm aerial going to radio via the Satnav(display), I guess is either take off RDS signal; and phantom supply volts; or both.

So I've ordered a Satnav antenna with blue Fakra (female) connector, less than a tenner, to see what happens. Then will sort decent am/fm aerial if I decide to keep the unit.

I don't plan on subscribing to Carminat Live (at nigh on £50/year!) so might well be better off junking it. Even if I did, the SIM card has probably been deactivated with not having been used for over 3 years.

So NEXT QUESTIONS would be:
Can whole unit be scrapped without loosing anything vital (vehicle messages etc)?

Is there a double DIN fascia converter that could fit? Then maybe try Android combined Radio + Satnav.
Alternatives would be a single DIN unit with pop up display (Android Radio + Satnav) or a single DIN radio with a proper TomTom stuck over the old screen.

A new TomTom includes lifetime traffic updates, these are received using your mobile phones connection (via bluetooth hotspot). The cost would be well worth the saved subscription.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,750 Posts
Can't help with connections etc but before you damn the unit, the satnav side should work with the existing SD card.
What it won't have is latest updates, for those you will need a newer card.
And will not get regular updates without subscription.

Question is whether or not you need them?
My satnav (Nissan unit) happily works on a 2011 card.
What it doesn't necessarily have is things like the latest camera POIs.... which doesn't bother me as I do not drive to satnav speed warnings anyway.
And did get a little confused on some new road layouts round Liverpool. Fun watching the little arrow in the middle of a field.

If you are only an occassional user and okay with supplementing with google maps in need, your unit will probably do all you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I can get it working, I'd consider paying for an updated UK map, as with 6 year old maps you do a lot of field driving. Only worry would be paying Renault then not being able to get device to load it. See reports of people getting stuck, needs Renault prog installed on PC to write new SD card. Not sure if dealer could supply new card with maps. Price?

If live traffic updates show re-routing options that can occasionally be very time saving. I once nearly missed a flight when satnav kept returning me to main airport access roundabout - where my exit was closed due to roadworks! and I was unfamiliar with the area.
To get that, replacing system would cost less long term than paying Renault.

I've realised that the pop-top roof is fibreglass which passes RF signals with very little attenuation. I've just tested GPS on phone using app called GPS test. Strongest satellites are 39-41 outside van; 40-41 under roof in middle of van; 30-31 under edge (remaining metal part) of roof.

A good spot to fix antennas looks to be on top of the metal part of roof but under pop-top. Would be possible either inside fabric bellows (about 2 inch headroom), or outside (over 3 inch headroom).
Does anyone have the (exterior) height of the sharks fin style combo antennas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts