Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 laguna and been informed the cat needs replacing by my mechanic.

I phoned for additional quotes and the exhaust centres were supprised that the cat had gone so quickly, I will take the car for a second opinion. Have any others needed the cat replaced after five years, is this another renault problem?

The quotes appear to be arround £250, anyone found much cheaper?

thanks

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
I have an 02 laguna and been informed the cat needs replacing by my mechanic.

I phoned for additional quotes and the exhaust centres were supprised that the cat had gone so quickly, I will take the car for a second opinion. Have any others needed the cat replaced after five years, is this another renault problem?

The quotes appear to be arround £250, anyone found much cheaper?

thanks
Hi i take it that the quote is suppley and fitting if so that would sound about right i priced a cat for my 2002 2.0 16v Espace and it was about £150+VAT so it sounds like about £100 for labour:crazy: all the best Donald.The make was Bosel

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Mine was £191.00 including fitting, if you shop around online you can buy one for £80 approx, then just a case of getting it fitted

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, catalysts can fail prematurely if there has been a misfire (i.e. bump start or coil failure) - any situation where raw fuel can find its way into the cat where it burns. Also, driving through cold water and causing it to splash onto the hot casing can also cause it to split (along with speed bumps).

These are very fragile indeed.

5 years isn't that unusual, I only owned my Scorpio for a few months - it was bought in 1999 when it was 4 years old, and I needed to replace one of them (my car has 3) - sadly, it was almost double your quote...

As others have already mentioned, shop around, but make sure you are searching by the part number, as you don't want the wrong one for your model.

Paul:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts