Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should you have a Catalytic converter post 1992,

OK i ask this question as i can't for the life of me find any info saying your car most by "LAW" have a Catalytic converter fitted to your car after the year of 1992 only that it must have it fitted on its mot for its emissions test,

We all know all cars after 1992 must have them fitted and require them for MOT for one purpose only to keep there emissions low,

Iam asking these questions as it is possible in some cars to remove the innards of the cat from the top and have it welded back up and still be able to pass on your emissions test,i know this as i have done it and most if not all Sportings on another forum i use have had this done and still pass there emissions test,

I do realise you could have your car MOT'ed with a working cat fitted then have it removed after mot to then be pulled over by the police for them to find out there is no cat fitted or its a dummy unit then have it tested by a government department to find out it sails through its emissions test again, would they just find the car unfit for road use because its not fitted or would they test it first?if thats the case and they test it and it passes, what could they do if its not "LAW"?,

Please prove me wrong and show me that it is indeed "LAW" because i for the life of me can't find anything saying it has to be kept on the car after its mot,

Cheers Donald

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good question pal...... No idea on the answer lol
Well that clears that up tigs:devil:,

Iam just wondering if its an instant fail if you turn up on your mot without one??

iam sure it is?,

and if is and they still need to go through the test and it passes its emissions test then what happens??iam sure it just fails as there was no cat there,but iam still interested if it law after the test to remove it,

Cheers Donald

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
A quick google suggests that if emissions are high, you would be in breach of Reg 61, 61a Motor Vehicles (Con and Use) Regs 1986.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A quick google suggests that if emissions are high, you would be in breach of Reg 61, 61a Motor Vehicles (Con and Use) Regs 1986.
Hi,

if thats the case and "IF" they were high then thats fair enough,

That still doesen't answer the question of the law after its mot'ed then its remove,

What if its tested and there not high?,

Cheers Donald

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Well as far as I am aware, you do not need a catalyst, but you must be able to meet the emissions standards set with a catalyst, which are clearly near impossible to get on most cars without a catalyst. The 1992 law for catalysts within the EU may have been transposed and enacted in UK law based on emissions, but I do not know. More likely it was a manufacturer requirement and then backed up in operations by emission laws (i.e. Euro 3).

I think it does answer the question, if tested with your catalyst during a MOT and then removed, clearly the emissions will be higher and may breach the above regulation.

If tested without a catalyst and passes, then it probably won't breach the above regulation.

I don't think this is a well understood area.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It isn't illegal to run a post 1992 car without a cat,but you will most probably need one to get through an MOT,especially if your running a modified inlet system.;):d

I must admit,I've never seen or heard of anyone being prosecuted due to a roadside check,but I suppose it does happen.

What I'd do to start with is remove the cat and have a replacement pipe made up,then take it for an emissions test to see how close you can get.If your somewhere near the limits,then I reckon you'd get away with running it on the road without a cat.The fast idle will probably be somewhere near anyway,it's on idle that I think you'll struggle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is no law saying any post 92 car must have a CAT fitted, you are well within the law to remove it and bin it if you really wanted to.

The problem comes at emission testing, if and its a big if your car will pass the test with no CAT, then that's fine nothing anyone can do about it, but most cars will need it to get a pass. Obviously, those running a decat pipe just swap it back over for the test, which is fine providing you don't get pulled on a roadside check. I've never been stopped so I have no idea on the score, I assume they give you similar to a GV90 ticket where you have x days to have the problem fixed and retested at an MOT centre, ticket stamped and produced at VOSA or police station.

I have had one car pass the MOT with a decat, but that was a conversion, and I blagged it that the engine came from a 91 car :d

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Over here in Northern Ireland MOT inspectors occasionally carry out roadside checks. They tend to pick heavy trucks coming off ferries and gatherings of boy racers at the weekends.
If a vehicle is found with the exhaust emmisions outside the legal limit thay have been known to issue penalty points as technically the vehicle doesn't comply with the Road Traffic Act.:)

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
On the way to my MOT test my cat on my last car fell off and a piece of pipe landed in it's place, it so nearly passed the emmisions I think if I put the timing back to standard it would've passed. Lucky for me my MOT man accidently plugged the tester into the wrong car ;)

You don't have to have a cat, but you must meet the emmision requirements, that is actually possible without a cat

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Another point: an MOT test is only valid for the day it's issued.

So say I'm legal, have a cat, pass my emmisions and on the way home my cat deteriorates and no longer meets requirements, will i get points for not complying with the road traffic act?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Another point: an MOT test is only valid for the day it's issued.

So say I'm legal, have a cat, pass my emmisions and on the way home my cat deteriorates and no longer meets requirements, will i get points for not complying with the road traffic act?
Probably - it would be similar to tyres that could be damaged.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts