Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has any thoughts on this one I would like to hear from you. My car went into the garage today where I was told my CAT was about to go. Does anyone know much about having a car De Cat'd.

Do you think its worth while?
Do you what happens if your car needs a MOT?
What is the fine if you get pulled over by the police?

If anyone has any relevant info Id like to hear from you.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Removung the Car Meow!!

:) Hi Gema 1982 A bit of friendly advice goes a long way. First thing is the car would fail MOT – due to incorrect exhaust emissions. Secondly it could fail to run as it could affect the oxygen sensor (remember all the Hoo Ha about Tesco’s fuel). Practically every modern car needs a CAT and is not just there to meet environmental controls. Thirdly it could invalidate your insurance as under the terms of the policy you agree to keep the vehicle in roadworthy condition (i.e. in accordance with the Road Traffic Act). As far as the police are concerned I doubt very much if they could detect if you had the CAT removed but if they found out, technically they could impose a 3-point penalty (oops there the insurance going up). I appreciate a replacement CAT can be expensive (but whoever said motoring was going to be cheap) but try to shop around for better prices. Additionally removing the CAT would increase fuel consumption so by what you may save on an exhaust you’ll probably end up spending on fuel. So to cut a long story short I don’t think it’s worth the hassle.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi Gema, it is possible to do this - if a module is used which 'tricks' the lamda sensor into believing the cat is still there. Noel is correct though - the car will in all likelihood fail an MOT, so you would need to replace the cat & all the gubbins each year.

It can liberate more power, but catalyst technology has moved on from the late eighties, and now there is hardly any difference in back pressure with the cat on or off (small percentages which are of most use on big powerplants), you might see another 10-15BHP (at most), but you need to weigh it all up...

Paul:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts