Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renault Clio Initiale 1.6 2006
When I walk up to my car the central locking unlocks and then locks and then unlocks and then locks continually. I tried a new battery in the card but it keeps happening. I had work done on the car where they disconnected the battery but my wife's key still works fine. Is there a way to reset the key by pressing the buttons on it. I have looked at Youtube but no luck.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,063 Posts
I would go for buttons are sticking in your remote.

·
41,063 Posts
Have a look at your key, compared to your wife's.
Now your wife's is working ok, so IT's not the car; or your wife's key.
So must be the key you have, inside the key are micro switches.
Your case is made of a material; that though it feels like the buttons have bounced back and released the switch, they haven't .
Would buy another Key Case, and transfer the inners from yours to the new case. Before you start stripping the car down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So that will mean opening up my case probably with a Stanley blade. Do the new ones come open so you can clip them together when you have done the transfer?

·
41,063 Posts
Have a look on the threads posted in the last 24 hours, you will see a video showing how to open one, yes, the new cards come in two halves you just glue them together

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Watched the video, I thought it was a straight swap. I will have to buy a soldering iron now but will save plenty of money.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,079 Posts
So that will mean opening up my case probably with a Stanley blade. Do the new ones come open so you can clip them together when you have done the transfer?
Is there an LED which flashes when you press the buttons? If so you might be able to see if they're sticking- the LED will stay on.
If you open it up, be careful. There are components very close to the edge of the key and you don't want to slice them off. Use a very sharp knife (an X-acto type craft knife if you have one) and don't stick it in too far.
You shouldn't need to do any soldering unless you eff it up o_O

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke to an auto locksmith who deals with Renault keys and he said that for my Renault Clio Initiale 2006 the key has to come from Renault and you cannot get them anywhere else. Just checking that, that is correct.

·
41,063 Posts
Why are you going this route here..
You know your key card case is tucked, Not the inners. So cut it open and replace the cover, buttons are working, the case is just hard over the buttons and holding the unlock button/switch on
If it goes t1ts up, you still need a card, you dont have to get one from Renault , you need someone who can programme the New ( If needed ) key card back to the UCH,

renault clio key card | eBay (Repair)

Replacement Key Card Remote Fob Renault Megane Grand Scenic Clio 433mhz New | eBay (new )

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have tried that and the case was so firmly closed and super glued it broke while trying to get it open so I need a new key card and was wondering if there is another route to get one other than buying one from the dealer.

·
41,063 Posts
The case or the PCB inside is now tucked?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I don't know what you mean but the card is destroyed and I need a replacement but as I said an auto locksmith said I can only get one from the main dealer

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is the keycard physically broken internally? I had one with all the buttons fallen off etc but the car still registered it and started. I used one of the eBay listings for about £25 that repair them, it worked a treat afterwards.

If the card is actually broken entirely then you will need a new one, old can't be re coded to a different vehicle as far as I'm aware.

Also make sure you get the right version, not sure how many variants there are for a clio but usually there's a different amount of buttons & keyless entry etc.

You can get aftermarket keys from eBay for about £15 & have someone code them but a main dealer won't touch an aftermarket key.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Easiest option is to get a new key off eBay for cheap and get a mobile locksmith to code it. All of them I've used before have been fine with aftermarket keys to program but some won't cut the blade because apparently the metal can be cheap and ruin a key cutter (no idea if true I just use the old blade anyway)

Even a local garage might be able to, I know a few by me have access to Renault Clip and can code the aftermarket keys to the car just fine, doesn't even take long so shouldn't cost much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I still have the blade from my old key card. I was led to believe that a new key and my wife's key will both have to be programmed. Also our keys used to unlock the central locking as we approached the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You will more than likely need your wife's key also as that will be added back in while it's being reprogrammed.

By that I assume the cars got keyless entry, they will be more expensive but I'm sure you can just program one without the keyless entry and it will still work off the buttons just fine anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts