Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Renault Clio keeps juddering when it's just ticking over it's cut out at times aswell someone said spark plugs and another person has said ignition coil aswell as spark plugs I've bought spark plugs but don't know how to change them it's a Renault Clio 2002 expression+ thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
My Renault Clio keeps juddering when it's just ticking over it's cut out at times aswell someone said spark plugs and another person has said ignition coil aswell as spark plugs I've bought spark plugs but don't know how to change them it's a Renault Clio 2002 expression+ thanks for the help

Remove the engine cover if fitted.

Disconect the coil terminals, undo the torx bolts and lift the coils out.

You'll need a long reach extension bar and spark plug socket to access the plugs.

:)

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
They retain the coils in position.

If you don't know what they are i presume you don't have any torx bits/sockets.

Nevermind a set won't break the bank and are neccessary for basic servicing/diy.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I've took the plastic cover off the engine and pulled the leads off the spark plugs do I have to take anything else off. Sorry if I'm being a pain but I'm a amature
You have to start somewhere so i wouldn't worry about being an amature:cool:

With the ht leads removed, you will need a thin spark plug socket on an extension or a spark plug tube to remove the plugs. they are quite a long way down and you will need the correct tool.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
If you've got a 1.2 16 valve engine then the plugs are smaller than standard.You'll need either the proper special socket or a deep 14mm socket,but if using the later you will have to be careful due to the fact that it will be easy to damage the plugs.You will also need a pair of long nosed pliers to retrieve and lower the plugs into the holes.

I'd be tempted to change the coil pack whilst you're there too,they are a well known problem.If you search for '1.2 16 valve misfire' it should show up a few threads with more info.

G

·
You will also need a pair of long nosed pliers to retrieve and lower the plugs into the holes.

I use a short piece of tube ( clear braided airline) that I push over the end of the spark plugs once I've loosened them and then wind them out with the tube. Also use the the tube to re-fit them and then tighten with a deep reach socket

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I use a short piece of tube ( clear braided airline) that I push over the end of the spark plugs once I've loosened them and then wind them out with the tube. Also use the the tube to re-fit them and then tighten with a deep reach socket
smart move that as there that deep even on the megane 2 its a pain in the bum and no chance with long nose pliers i took 1 out the meg on sat morning but couldnt get the rest out the hole with long nose pliers and i couldnt find a bit of tube to push over the plugs so i gave up till i find some rubber or plastic tube to pull mine out for a clean up lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.