Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Along with my other problems I believe that it's about time I renewed my rear brake shoes on my 98 Kangoo 1.9 D55 as they haven't been done since I've had the van (about 5years?).

Could anybody tell me please if this would be a reasonably straightforward job or should I take it to a garage?

I have searched the forum and not found anything much on this subject other that someone saying they were having a nightmare doing it!

Unfortunately Haynes don't do a manual for the Kangoo so I'm relying on your help guys.

Thanks, Henrietta

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Rear shoes can look daunting,but in all honesty they are pretty straight foward.The best advice I can give is to remove both drums at the same time,but only replace on side of shoes at a time.That way,if you get confused at all you can look at the other side and compare where the springs go etc.

Really you need to have a look at the wear of the shoes,they can last a long time and aren't neccessarily in need of replacement just because they have been on there for a long time.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Thanks for that but as I dont have a Haynes manual would it be just a case of jacking up, removing wheels and pulling the drum covers off to see how things are?
The only other posting I found on here on this was from someone saying they couldn't get the covers off. Is that a likely problem and if so is there a sensible solution other that brute force and ignorance?
Cheers
Henrietta

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
To look at the shoes you will need to remove the wheel,then the cap in the centre of the drum,then the hub nut (30mm socket and long bar needed,they are tight),the drum should then pull off the stub axle.If there is a wear ridge on the back of the drums they can be difficult to remove,in this case a puller is ideally needed but it will probably wreck the shoes/fixings in the process.It's always worth backing off any external handbrake adjustment when trying to remove the drums if they are tight,but it doesn't always have the desired effect.You can sometimes tap the drums off with a hammer,but you have to be very careful how/where/and how hard you hit them as they are easily damaged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks,
Sounds not so bad so maybe I'll give it a try. No doubt if it's a disaster you'll hear about it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
when removing the drum do you need to regrease the wheel bearing or can you just put it back together. At this stage I just want to take a look at the shoes

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
when removing the drum do you need to regrease the wheel bearing or can you just put it back together. At this stage I just want to take a look at the shoes
No, don't grease the bearing.

You should use brand new hub nuts when refitting the drums and not use the old ones!

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
I've had a quick look on ebay, i can't see any for your vehicle.
Enter ''renault hub nuts'' there's a few listings, i'd email the sellers enquiring about your vehicle.
They cost around £10 a pair all in.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts