Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a 2012 Grand Scenic. I travel across the Channel frequently and want to change the digital display to the unit of speed relative to the country I am in.
The generic Scenic handbook explains a procedure involving pushing the end of stalk button simultaneously with the start button etc etc, which is identical to a couple of posts on this site.
It does not work on this model car.
I have visited 3 dealers, 2 in the UK and 1 in France who having read/followed the handbook procedure can't do it either. They can change it by attaching the diagnostic machine in the workshop - not much help to the owner/driver if they cross the Channel at night or on a Sunday !
Totally unacceptable and I suspect contrary to some European law in the depths of Brussels.
Please tell me there is an owner out there with a suggestion other than selling the car !

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
1. If you search around there is a procedure a little more involved than whats in the handbook.
Get in car wait till all lights go out dont touch clutch, stuff like that, sorry I dont have the link.

There is a procedure on youtube, something like the handbook also.The handbook only applies to some models :( .

My Megane 2011, none of these work so if I wish to change It would have to be done in the garage, or I get hold of a can cable.
The garage did say they will do it anytime(in opening hrs ) for free, but thats the best I get.

·
Registered
19 Posts
l have a 2011 megane and about a year ago l changed the speedo from mph to km this is how it was done .
But somewhere in this forum there is a post from where l got it

Get in car, don't turn on ignition.

Press and hold top button on the
control stalk. At the same time, put key card into slot and press and hold start/stop button.

Display will change from mph to km. Keep holding buttons until it stops flashing.

Then to change from km to mph (Via Versa)

Hope this helps you

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Heh thx tata , if that one was for me.. but I personally have tried x+100 variations barely putting key card in n all sorts.
Mine just isnt a self doable km/mph adjustment.
It could be due to all sorts of ecu/spec variations .
Mine is the "economique" :d no cc, sat nav or the like.
personally , Id prefer mph(even tho this is a km/hr country) because the display changes more rapidly when cruising if set at km/hr.

Im reasonably adept at mental mph/km conversion on the fly and use my 4in sat nav plug in for a mph conversion.
Next year I may just get renault to switch it to mph and leave it there..then if I get stopped for speeding,I can just say, I had to get renault to switch my speedo for a trip to the uk.
They neglected to contact me to get it changed back when I returned and so bill them :cool::eek: ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
@coupe mine is the same model as yours 2011

But then its a dynamic tom tom model

Maybe thats why that procedure works on mine

l have just tested it out this morning and its works great on mine

l live in malta and here we use km even the speed cameras are all in km :d

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you coup and tata for your responses but your suggestions simply do not work on my 2012 Grand Scenic.
Renault Customer Service suggest there is something wrong with my car, Renault Dealership computer equipment say my car is fine.
Have I got a unique vehicle ?

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Thank you coup and tata for your responses but your suggestions simply do not work on my 2012 Grand Scenic.
Renault Customer Service suggest there is something wrong with my car, Renault Dealership computer equipment say my car is fine.
Have I got a unique vehicle ?
If rcs say there is something wrong with your car, get it fixed free or get rcs to liase with the dealer.

My"handbook" details the km/mph conversion setup BUT , Ive come to understand over the years that there is no viable method of self conversion on mine.
Its to do with my specification and the fact that renault send out a handbook that covers functions that operate in some but not all models.
For example,things that are bleedin obviously missing, such as cruise control, the manual states that the facility is not available on all models.

The km/mph conversion it doesnt state that , but it definitely doesnt work.
I showed the dealers the manual, they tried it, contacted renault Ireland..yada yada.. "just call in and weel convert back and forth whenever you like"

ie If you cant get any method to work,you will have to
1.Get rcs to sort it ..:)
2. buy a diagnostic type cable and diy
3. put up with having to get it done at dealers at your convenience
4.Do mental calculation or use a sat nav for speed readout.
Very roughly for example multiplying km x 6 in your head(actually .6) but you get the idea is the mph equivalent 100km/hr=62 mph approx n so on
Keeps you alert on long journeys :)

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
2,945 Posts
one way is to get another speedo (from the EU) thats already in KM, or use a clip on a UK unit, then reprogram it to kph (it should hold the settings better than the user adjustment.)

just have to swap over the unit when you get back to the UK.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. I have moved to the UK from Ireland and took my 2007 Grand Scenic with me. It's a digital display and I am looking to change from KPH to MPH. I have tried what the manual says, pressing the top button on the side control stick, key fob in and then pressing start button. Hold it forever and ever, nothing happens.

I need to re-register my car and get a UK reg plate in order to insure it in the UK. However, speedometer MUST display MPH and I need a garage to certify that it does (part of the requirements on the vehicle registration application).

Before I go to a Renault dealer or another decent mechanic, I suspect that they will have the same problems and wont be able to change the display as per the manual's instructions (really hope I'm wrong).

ANY good advice would be really appreciated.

Another problem is my wife's 2009 Renault Megane (also an Irish registered car). Her speedometer is not digital and requires a more laborious change. I have priced this with a garage and they said it could be £450+VAT for the part and £80+VAT per hour for labour. Not the best option obviously. Any tips? (I'm in the North West area)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
From my limited understanding of this issue, if you can't do it personally a Renault Dealer will be able to switch to MPH display by linking it to their diagnostic machine. It will apparently revert back to KPH if you let the battery go flat as KPH is the default.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
sorry to be late to the party , but just bought an Irish reg 2016 used Clio 4 with the digital dash and having the same problem. Tried the CC button and long press start an the 0km will not flash at all to set no matter what I do.

So frustrating , why would they let you adjust a UK renault 4 Clio from mph to kmh but do away or not add this feature to an Irish Clio 4 ?? - especially if you want to drive over the border to NI who are then in mph and they are both RHD cars. - i really dont understand the logic in it.

I have one of those OBD2 ELM 327 plug in things that diagnose engine / ecu errors and resets dash lights .. do you reckon with a special app I would be able to change it from kmh to mph like the garage diagnostics machines do does anyone know by chance?

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,829 Posts
For some reason it doesn't seem to work the other way round. I have a LHD Scenic with speed in kph. It is not possible to change this to mph via any of the methods suggested.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,330 Posts
For some reason it doesn't seem to work the other way round. I have a LHD Scenic with speed in kph. It is not possible to change this to mph via any of the methods suggested.
EU Community Directive 75/443 says that in member countries where imperial units are used then speedometers must be dual speed, either with dial markings or switch selection.
Which makes it UK must have change facility but elsewhere in EU doesn't.
NI comes into UK.
Eire has gone fully metric so doesn't need.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,829 Posts
EU Community Directive 75/443 says that in member countries where imperial units are used then speedometers must be dual speed, either with dial markings or switch selection.
NI comes into UK.
Very educational is this forum. Bit mean though isn't it - for the functionality, once invented and implemented, to be left off some models. Can't see it being much of a saving to have different systems on UK and European models. Out of interest, can the UK models select other languages?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
NI comes into UK.
we are in a bit of a special situation with plenty of people travelling across the border to NI ... ROI has to use kmh (or have dual mph/kmh figures on dial) and cross the border to NI and you go into mph territory. . So I might understand other EU country not requiring facility to change onboard, but ROI RHD Irish reg vehicle , I just think it should be available on these models sold in these 2 countries/areas.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,330 Posts
we are in a bit of a special situation with plenty of people travelling across the border to NI ... ROI has to use kmh (or have dual mph/kmh figures on dial) and cross the border to NI and you go into mph territory. . So I might understand other EU country not requiring facility to change onboard, but ROI RHD Irish reg vehicle , I just think it should be available on these models sold in these 2 countries/areas.
I agree with you.
And as TwoD, cannot understand why it would not be a basic feature, after all it costs nothing, it is simply software.
But would seem to be not required for cars sold in ROI so not installed.
Has to be on cars originally sold in NI.

We have seen this sort of thing with things like EOBD.
Facility must be installed in EU cars. So a simple EOBD reader can be plugged in and get basic (not all) codes.
But cars out side the EU do not need this, so do not get it in many cases.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Not to mention my time wasted in trying to make it work....
haha - I have been spending ages myself trying all different combinations. I am like, OK so maybe for the Irish reg ones it is quite possibly still there but a different combination. So i am pressing Start and the 'o' on the steering wheel, and then 'O' on the steering wheel and the computer switch on the end of the wiper and a hundred more combinations just waiting in the hope that the 0kmh digit just starts flashing LOL - but no joy

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I live about an hour away from Northern Ireland. I wondered if I were to take my irish registered RHD clio into a Northern Ireland garage and asked them to hook it up to their diagnostics and load it with the UK software for the engine ECU (unless there is a separate ECU for the dash) that would work, then I would be able to switch between mph and km/h on the fly then with the onboard computer button and start button method - is that do-able does anyone reckon?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts