Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On attempting to change my rear shocks (£60 Ebay :cool: ) I hit a bit of a snag.

I managed to undo both mounting bolts but just could not drive the shocks bottom bolt out of its mounting hole. After much banging, pulling & swearing - and rapidly diminishing light I decided to give up for the evening.

Anyone had experience of getting these buggers out or could recommend any special techniques/tools - much appreciated.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there, had the same problem myself on Sunday, all the bolts came out a treat but I couln't separate the lower end of the shock from the hub carrier, I squirted loads of penetrating oil into the holes and bolted the old ones back into place. The next time I have a go I'll try undoing the lower bolt a bit and see if a hub puller will shift it, failing that a blow torch on the hub carrier. What type of shocks did you get by the way?
Regards Leroy

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Just a thought ... are you letting the hub hang on the shocks? ... if so jack it up slightly using a bottle jack or similar to take the stress off the mountings ... you might still need to drive the bolt out but at least the weight of the hub etc is not hanging there as well.

If I'm teaching grannies to suck eggs please ignore:d

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Cheers mate, I got the same ones from the local GSF depot for £24.00 each plus vat so about the same really, I'ts not the bolt that's stuck on mine I'ts the tubular part on the end of the shock that fits into the hub carrier. A bit more effort this weekend I think, :d
Regards Leroy

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
I think it's time for the angle grinder or hack-saw. It looks like the inner steel bush has rusted itself on - cos there is a rubber bush all the energy from your hammering is being absorbed by the rubber. Take a grinder or hack-saw and cut the eye-end of the old shock (I know its awkward) and split it open. Then cut away the rubber until the steel bush is exposed. Again using the grinder or hack-saw or maybe vice grips you should be able to get it undone. Be careful not to damage any threads in the process. Using a blowlamp is not recommended as the fuel tank and its pipes are in the vacinity. Hope this helps and good luck:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Yeh the old minis tried that in their ball-joints and it kept failing - unfortunately plastic is not very good at taking compressive loads as it tends to deform. If they just applied the least amount of anti-seize compound during assembly there would be no probs later but then they wouldn't get the chance to charge us those fancy prices:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to update - I decided to pop it down the garage, just along from where I work. Took two of them a good 1hr - 1hr 30 mins & took some real hammering, levering & pulling to finally get them free. Like said the steel tubes/bushes had pretty much rusted themselves in. Don't think I could of managed it without a decent ramp to be honest.
Anyway only cost me £35 & rear end is now definitely a lot firmer & cornering much more precise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi All....

I suffered a lot, ....hammer, bar and hammer...and:

The rubber came out!! :-( I'm kind of lost...
The lower fixing of the damper is almost half in the air...the bolt is there, but almost inside the hole....

Is it possible to fix that? or should I buy another damper.

(It happened when replacing the rear bushes...)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
It may be more cost effective to replace the shocks. In my experience when their bushes fail it means they have had a hard life:)

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
hmmm bringing up this old thread because I'm thinking of doing this next weekend... could you get the bolt out but the eye of the shock is stuck on the hub? Was thinking if the bolt was stuck you could get it out with a hammer and a punch ...

Cheers!

:d

edit: brain still working ... So then even if you break the shock off the inner steel lining of the eye rusts to the hub? Fook me that sounds a right pain, best remember to take the angle grinder ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

I was contacted around three times, but never completed the sale.
Do you need it?
The new bushes last ages... How many miles have you done?

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Must have done 25k miles? Just last mot was mentioned - don't know if he was having a laugh... I had a look actually the other day and they looked alright tbh. Mine weren't the renault parts though, were yours? I may have fallen foul of dodgy ebay parts ...

Would be interested in the part yea, can you pm me the price?

Cheers!

:d

1 - 20 of 20 Posts