Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got myself a '97 Megane a month ago for quite cheap. One of the problems (there are a few, but no really big ones) is that the speedometer isn't working properly. It jumps all over the place, especially when I'm accelerating. When I let go of the accelerator (or I'm really, really gentle on it) it shows just about the right speed. I think the problem is the speed sensor, either it needs to ble cleaned, or changed. I heard this is a small job, so I'd like to do it myself (or, with the help from a friend), but I don't really have any clue of what to do. How do I get to the sensor, what does it look like and is it easy to rip out, clean and stick back in? Do I have to do any adjustments? If I buy a new one, which part number am I looking for?
It is a BA0L type.

Oh yeah, I live in Norway, so the driver's seat is on the left hand side, if that changes anything.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I got myself a '97 Megane a month ago for quite cheap. One of the problems (there are a few, but no really big ones) is that the speedometer isn't working properly. It jumps all over the place, especially when I'm accelerating. When I let go of the accelerator (or I'm really, really gentle on it) it shows just about the right speed. I think the problem is the speed sensor, either it needs to ble cleaned, or changed. I heard this is a small job, so I'd like to do it myself (or, with the help from a friend), but I don't really have any clue of what to do. How do I get to the sensor, what does it look like and is it easy to rip out, clean and stick back in? Do I have to do any adjustments? If I buy a new one, which part number am I looking for?
It is a BA0L type.

Oh yeah, I live in Norway, so the driver's seat is on the left hand side, if that changes anything.
If it was me I would be thinking intermittent /broken wire or connection as your engine moves slightly under load making and breaking the connection. if you can get a front wheel or 2 off the ground SAFELY and start it and put it in gear with an accomplice looking at the speedo maybe prodding the wires with a stick might show the problem but if you run yourself over I deny all blame!! there must be a better way, sone else may tell you it

I suppose the wiring will take a different route to a RH drive so advice on where to look might be different

Best of luck

·
La sola lupo
85 R11TS, 85 R9TXE, 97 Extra 1,9D, 97 Megane 2.0 RXE, 02 Clio 1,2 16V
1,815 Posts
If it was me I would be thinking intermittent /broken wire or connection as your engine moves slightly under load making and breaking the connection. if you can get a front wheel or 2 off the ground SAFELY and start it and put it in gear with an accomplice looking at the speedo maybe prodding the wires with a stick might show the problem but if you run yourself over I deny all blame!! there must be a better way, sone else may tell you it

I suppose the wiring will take a different route to a RH drive so advice on where to look might be different

Best of luck
The sensor will be in the same place so you can trace the wires from there if need be.
The sensor sits at the back of the gearbox near where the starter bolts on, there will be 2 wires coming out of it if I remember correctly.

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
The speed sensor on your car has a 3 terminals marked a-b1-b2 at key on terminal A must have 12v's
B2 earth. B1 grey wire return signal wire to ecu pin no 12. I would be inclined to check for a 12v feed at terminal a Check earth from b2 terminal to battery negitive terminal ohms reading should not exceed 0.2
ohms Check b1 terminal at speed sensor plug grey wire to ecu plug check ohms reading between plugs
Might need a voltage drop down check on this wire
Hth Regards Mickeybo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.