Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
recently got a flat, couldnt take my car out, tried starting and battery was low.
removed battery, charged and replaced, turns over, not starting, intermitent noise from relays. removed relay and noise goes, changed over relays and no noise. i have a video showing the problem. some lights come on in the car, (!) always on, oil light on/off, rear window heater not working, had to change a green (30) fuse and fuse was black along with fuse holder.

not sure where to start with this. i looked at the cables on the back of the relay holder and couldnt see any problems

Attachments

Super mod..
Your car is a 2001 model.. wondering why you took it off and didnt just charge it in place..no critical systems like stop start or intelligent stop and go so why..

Premium Member
In the video you can actually see I think green corrosion under that relay you pulled first ................. suspect you have the standard scuttle drain blocked causing water damage on the electrical/fuse /relay panels where water leaks onto those........

Strip, clean, reassemble and hope for the best..........

Registered
Yes I'd agree with LvR, the green stuff under the relays needs to be cleaned up first. Sounds like could be poor connections or even worse shorting out.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
Hello and thanks for the response. i have cleaned the green stuff out and still no go. i checked the voltage at the green fuse that i replaced an it said battery voltage which i am going to assume is correct. the rear window heater is not coming on, least the light on the dashboard is not showing. (!) light is still on. obdii tester is saying no codes. anyone know a good guide for fault finding electrical faults?
thanks
simon

Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
You say charged and replaced battery, I assume you mean put it back in?
If your battery is knackered even charging it won鈥檛 make it good again. If you can jump start the car or borrow a battery. Assuming that works and the car runs, you鈥檙e simply in need of a new battery.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
You say charged and replaced battery, I assume you mean put it back in?
If your battery is knackered even charging it won鈥檛 make it good again. If you can jump start the car or borrow a battery. Assuming that works and the car runs, you鈥檙e simply in need of a new battery.
sorry when i meant battery was dead i mean that it ran low and needed a charge. it still works and holds a charge.

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
Stick a volt meter on the battery when turning it over.
All that chattering sounds like low voltage from here

Registered
It normal for a battery to eventually not support enough current to start the car, i.e. It may show 12v and run the lights at 10amps, but ask it to supply 200 amps for the starter motor and it says no. So try turning on the headlights and then operate the starter.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
whatever the problem was it has now gone, to a degree. the car starts, the rear window heater lights up and works. the (!) light still appears on the dash. i ordered the proper haynes manual and should get that soon.

Premium Member
Hello and thanks for the response. i have cleaned the green stuff out and still no go. i checked the voltage at the green fuse that i replaced an it said battery voltage which i am going to assume is correct. the rear window heater is not coming on, least the light on the dashboard is not showing. (!) light is still on. obdii tester is saying no codes. anyone know a good guide for fault finding electrical faults?
thanks
simon
I don't know the technique you used to "clean the green stuff out" but can say this:

If it was only superficial as in brushing the top of things you can see to clean it that will most likely NOT work. The mere presence of the green stuff on any panel is reason enough to strip the panel from its mount and remove individual wires/terminals from their mounts, clean individually, coat with silicone grease or some such and then reassemble ................. rinse and repeat for any fuse/computer panel found near any water producing corners on the vehicle............. this after the scuttle drains and sealing rubbers have been attended to.

Your experience IMO is telling you there is still some muck sitting somewhere waiting to trip you up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts