Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen any bargain LCD tv's of recent? I'm looking for a 27" or 29" HD ready. Not sure how much i have to spend, thought i'd see whats available atm :crazy:

TIA

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
I bought a Philips 32" recently and had some change from £630. Bought from Costco and a good spec. They also do Samsung 23-42" at v.good prices and 5yr+ warranty included!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I bought a Philips 32" recently and had some change from £630. Bought from Costco and a good spec. They also do Samsung 23-42" at v.good prices and 5yr+ warranty included!
Hi Hugh is it not a 3 year warranty in Costco as I looked at their TVs, and the warranty is only valid if you remain a Costco member which is £25 a year ?

What model of Philips did you get.

Yes they are very competitively priced, but selection can vary.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Hi Hugh is it not a 3 year warranty in Costco as I looked at their TVs, and the warranty is only valid if you remain a Costco member which is £25 a year ?

What model of Philips did you get.

Yes they are very competitively priced, but selection can vary.

Regards

Ottoman

There is a certain amount of confusion with Costco and warrantied items. I bought a washing machine and checked with the staff - under Costco terms it is covered for as long as I am a member.

It is indeed a 3yr warranty on the TV - this is a manufacturers warranty. I think it is also covered by the same cover as the washing machine for as long as I am a member. I shall check when I'm there next! Either way a 3yr warranty costs a fortune in other retailers!

I shall also check the model number - it was on special a couple of months ago.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Is this the one Hugh with pixel plus

I have 3 Philips LCD TVs ranging from 23" to 37" and I must say I am very pleased with them, The most expensive was the 23" bought a number of years ago, The rest from John Lewis with 5 year warranty & free delivery, all their TVs come with a 5 year warranty, They also do a price promise.

There are some super deals to be had if you shop around, I personally would only buy a well known branded make & one that I had viewed, Argos were doing some good offers recently with selected makes on 3 years warranty, I would not pay for an extended warranty as the cost is prohibitive to my mind, none of mine are wall mounted as I like the flexibility of moving the furniture around with the seasons, I prefer models with a small bezel and no lettering or embellisments at the front.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i would check Curry's sb i thought that the supermarkets would have been the cheapest for the printer i got but it was £16 cheaper at Curry's hope this helps all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Is this the one Hugh with pixel plus

I have 3 Philips LCD TVs ranging from 23" to 37" and I must say I am very pleased with them, The most expensive was the 23" bought a number of years ago, The rest from John Lewis with 5 year warranty & free delivery, all their TVs come with a 5 year warranty, They also do a price promise.

There are some super deals to be had if you shop around, I personally would only buy a well known branded make & one that I had viewed, Argos were doing some good offers recently with selected makes on 3 years warranty, I would not pay for an extended warranty as the cost is prohibitive to my mind, none of mine are wall mounted as I like the flexibility of moving the furniture around with the seasons, I prefer models with a small bezel and no lettering or embellisments at the front.

Regards

Ottoman

Yes I think it is the same as mine - certainly has pixel plus and the glass surround in black. V. pleased thus far - just waiting for High Definition DVD players to drop in price!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yes I think it is the same as mine - certainly has pixel plus and the glass surround in black. V. pleased thus far - just waiting for High Definition DVD players to drop in price!
Very good Spec, The pixel plus makes a big difference, I have this model in 32" got it from John Lewis about Xmas time for £599 I think it was the last one they had as there was a huge demand at that price.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Very good Spec, The pixel plus makes a big difference, I have this model in 32" got it from John Lewis about Xmas time for £599 I think it was the last one they had as there was a huge demand at that price.

Regards

Ottoman

Is yours the one with the built in freeview tuner?

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Does this mean that the big Sony has bitten the dust? :(

Are you looking at 27-29" on the basis of price or room that you have to accommodate it? From what I've seen, the prices seem to fall into bands, with the 27-32" TV's all coming in at around the same prices.

Argos turned out to be the cheapest option I could find when our old telly blew up over Christmas. 32" no-name brand (Accoustic Solutions) LCD with freeview for 499. Of course, prices have dropped a bit since then.

Having a quick peek at Argos, right now I'd be torn between these two:

A Bush 30" with £50 off at £299.99.
Buy Bush LCD30TV002 30in LCD TV. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Clearance sound and vision.

An Accoustic Solutions 26" at 279.99.
Buy Acoustic Solutions LCD26NK750HDF 26in HD Digital LCD TV. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Clearance sound and vision.

Personally, unless space is a major consideration, I'd pay the extra 20 quid for the bigger screen. Though if HD is likely to be of importance to you in the near future, the smaller one might be better (I can't see any mention of HD readiness on the Bush.)

Edit: Just noticed - the 26" one has freeview too.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for all the help, i'll take a good look at the links and hopefully find something suitable :)

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Don't go too cheap with LCDs - the picture quality varies tremendously.
Even if buying off the net still go to Currys,COmet etc to actually see the teles before you decide.

Personally I would avoid Bush and the unbranded supermarket teles unless you get a really really good deal on them.

You will also need to be a bit careful where you buy from - some of the Internet deals will be for teles that are not perfect ( they will have a few pixels faulty) . Stick to the well known suppliers for peace of mind.

Unless you save mega bucks it is better to pay £20-£30 more from a local shop for the peace of mind and less hassle if it is faulty or goes wrong.
If an internet deal tele goes wrong you will have to pay postage etc to return it.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I have to say I can't fault this Acoustic Solutions one. Not having a branded set to compare it with, I can't say whether the picture's top notch or not, but it seems perfectly good to me. Rumour has it that very few manufacturers actually make their own LCD displays, so your cheapie TV may well have the same panel in it as a much more expensive branded unit.

I've been down the 'branded goods only' route before now, only to be left with the feeling that I've spent more on percieved quality than actual quality. My previous JVC TV ended up needing a new line output transistor and then a new line output transformer. My twin JVC VHS recorders were both utter crap (I later discovered from an independent repairer that they were built on what's known in the trade as the 'JVC fall-apart deck' - they'd decided to experiment with push-fit rollers to knock a few pence off production costs. It didn't backfire on JVC, just on the end users once the units were out of warranty.) My penultimate VHS video recorder was a Sony - it lasted about 18 months on a 12 month warranty and then just refused to power on one morning. I replaced it with a Bush DVD/VHS combo, which has already outlived it supposedly superior quality predecessor.

So it's cheapie brands for me in future. If they die within the warranty, I'll get them repaired or replaced. If they die outside of the warranty and aren't economically repairable, I'll bin them and buy a cheapie brand again.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
We also have cheapie brand,portable teles in the girls bedrooms - can't fault them.They are only 14" crt jobs but perfectly ok for kids bedrooms. They did have cheapo videos as well, picture quality was poor but they worked. They now have Pioneer dvd players as Dixons were selling them for £30 each a few yrs ago when the cheapest "unbranded" ones were selling for £35!

When I said unbranded marks I was refering to the supermarket cheapies. They may be acceptable but they are not much cheaper than other ones with a known name. Acoustic Solutions,Goodmans,Wharfdale etc I would not class as "unbranded".

I agree that most manufacturers use the same panels, but that is only half the "picture" , certain manufactures can use sophisticated electronics to improve the overall clarity etc to improve the picture.

We have a Sony crt 28" widescreen tele 10yrs old & still going strong.

Must admit, my in-laws new SOny 26" lcd isn't as good as I would have expected.

We looked the other day and compared a Panasonic to a Sony & the Panny was better - we had to ask if the SOny was playing HD or not! This was in a Sony shop as well. The Panny was in the Panny shop.

Hopefully ours will last long enough until they bring out proper 1080 hd teles in 32" that are less than £500!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
When I said unbranded marks I was refering to the supermarket cheapies. They may be acceptable but they are not much cheaper than other ones with a known name. Acoustic Solutions,Goodmans,Wharfdale etc I would not class as "unbranded".
I'd never heard of Acoustic Solutions until I bought this telly, so I took it as a no-name brand. Yes, I'd heard of Goodmans and Wharfdale, but still see them as being closer in percieved quality to the unbranded stuff than to the likes of Sony, Panasonic and JVC.
I agree that most manufacturers use the same panels, but that is only half the "picture" , certain manufactures can use sophisticated electronics to improve the overall clarity etc to improve the picture.
I suppose it depends on what you want from the idiot's lantern. I watch a lot of stuff on the mediaplayer which I've ruthlessly compressed with MPEG4. The rest is on Sky (not HD) and freeview, both of which also have hideously noticeable compression artefacts that spoil my enjoyment way before the limitations of the LCD screen become obvious. In a nutshell, unless you're actually playing back from an HD source, there's really no point in being picky about display quality these days because the standard digital broadcast sources are so poor. If we watched more DVDs or had a subscription to Sky HD, then I'm sure my opinion would be different.
Hopefully ours will last long enough until they bring out proper 1080 hd teles in 32" that are less than £500!
That time can't be too far away, so just keep your fingers crossed that the old one holds out :p

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I have to say I can't fault this Acoustic Solutions one. Not having a branded set to compare it with, I can't say whether the picture's top notch or not, but it seems perfectly good to me. Rumour has it that very few manufacturers actually make their own LCD displays, so your cheapie TV may well have the same panel in it as a much more expensive branded unit.
Yes that is correct there are very few company's that actually manufacture LCD screens compared to the number that sell them, Nobody manufactures a screen and then dumps it if it does not meet their quality criteria it is passed off down the line to other brands who's criteria is less and so forth until you get to the lower end of the scale as is in all electronics.

I prefer going for a branded make , that is my choice I feel the finish is what I am looking for and the appearance suits me tho I will not pay over the odds for it, I purchase what my needs are I do not purchase an all singing dancing product that I will never use.

Most retailers displays are broadcasting in HD which to me is wrong as so few are receiving that format and most are quite disappointed when they plug their TVs in at home and see the resultant picture drop and as Horatio says does it really matter if you only watch soaps or the other dross on TV if it is in digital, HD or whatever the format, The main reason I chose LCD/Plasma TVs over CRT are the space saving tho I have none of my 3 LCD wall mounted as I do not wish to be restricted in my furniture layout as we tend to move the room layouts to suit the seasons.

If you are happy with what you have why change, Prices are dropping fast as my 23" LCD was twice the cost of the 32" LCD and the 37" I received as a gift which I priced afterwards and was as cheap as the 32" all are Philips which is just a coincidence as I have looked at all makes & levels of perceived branding.

I also view all products before purchase and I return to a retailer whom I have dealt with in the past who's level of service is superior to others I have tried in the past. Its the package I trust not the price.

Regards

Ottoman

1 - 20 of 34 Posts