Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone give me an idea of a clicking noise from the front of my 04 scenic , comes and goes, mostly seems to me to be when turning right frfom standing start, also in 2nd gear and not at higher speed. CV or drive shaft perhaps??

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

I'd certaintly suspect a CV joint to cause a noise like your experiencing,but it is difficult to decide which one is causing it.Check the gaiters for damage and evidence of grease leaking from them,if you find one has a gaiter that isn't sealed properly then it's usually that joint thats causing the noise.Once they start getting noisy there is not point in just repacking with grease and fitting a new gaiter.:(.The damage to the joint is done,and replacement is the only option.I strongly suspect that joints are integral to the shaft,so a new driveshaft will be required.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes still under warranty but soon to expire (may) Trouble is the local garage cannot find the noise today...bit like going to the doctors really, you feel ok when you arrive!!

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Clicking sound

Could be the start of a drive-shaft problem. Find a nice quiet "flat" space somewhere with plenty of space (a Tesco forecourt might be available) - get a mate to stand along side (if you find one brave enough that is). Reverse the car slowly and let it come to a stop itself - do not use the brake - then move of forward sharpish and see if the sound hand be heard - trying this a few times with your mate at either side may help you locate the source. Is a series of click or just the one.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Might seem silly but check there is nothing in the tyre tread, I had this once, but could only hear it when the window was open.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Click when moving off

Come to think of it I had a similar prob a few years back - turned out to be a loose wheel balance weight which can been loosened after running it against a kerb. Once the vehicle was running the centrifugal force in the wheel stopped it moving around -would be worth having a look and costs nothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts