Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with a problem I have at the moment. When starting the car this morning the outside temperature was showing at -18. Obviously wrong of course, and as the journey proceeded it varied between -18 to -16. My initial thoughts are that because of the enormous amounts of rain we are having at the moment that this may have affected the electronics in some way. Also does the outside temperature gauge affect the automatic heating/air conditioning. As this seemed to be blowing on maximum I assume to heat the car due to the false outside temperature reading. I wonder if the external temperature gauge needs replacing.
Lets hope someone else has had this problem and can provide a solution.
Thanks
Normc3943

·
Administrator
21,707 Posts
Norm,

I'd have thought that water has got into the external temperature sensor as this would more than likely cause the problems your are describing.

I would look into replacing the external temperature sensor (I think its located in one of the wing mirrors (certainly was on a Laguna 1) and then taking it from there.

The temperature sensors arent expensive

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Norm - yeh the climate control relies on two sensors to adjust heating and cooling
1. The outside temperature sensor - usually located on the bottom of the door mirrors - on some cars it's the left and others it is right. The sensor or cabling to it may also be faulty.
2. The internal sensor which monitors the cabin parameters such as temperture, humidity and quality. Not sure exactly where it is on your model but on my Laguna II it is mounted inside the rear view miror pod and as it contains a small fan it tends to have a build up of dust, etc.:)

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Noel and Dave,
thanks for your appreciated advice, I think I will try waiting to see if fine weather dries the problem out. Mind you, the way the weather is going it may be a long time.
One further question, are replacing both sensors an easy DIY job?
Normc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts