Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I stumbled across this forum when looking for information for my dad, who's Clio – a 51plate 1.2 16v extreme - is having a few problems.

There's a lot of good info on these forums and I've had a look at a lot of it, unfortunately in the process I've confused myself!

Lately the engine has had new plugs/air filter/oil filter and an oil change. We did this at home, seeing as it's quite a straightforward thing to do. This seemed to make an improvement in the performance of the car too.

About a week after the problem arose. Literally overnight, the car went from starting/driving excellently to not being able to be driven anywhere.

Here's a breakdown of what happens:

When the ignition is turned on there's a ticking noise that can be heard coming from the engine bay. (Whether this is related, I don’t know. But it’s a new noise and seems to be coming from the solenoid on the emissions control unit somewhere on driver’s side of the engine. The unit has been tested by a local Auto-Electrician who said it’s fine.)

The engine fires/starts normally.

But it sounds terrible! When idling it misfires, there’s also a rattle (which would seem to be the ECU rattling on its mount/bracket) and it stinks of petrol. The car can't be driven anywhere, because...

The revs will gradually rise to a couple of thousand rpm and then the engine will cut out.

The “electronic fault and preheating warning light” (the one that l looks like zig-zags in a box with a squiggle underneath) comes on.

When this first happened the AA had to relay the car home. On the report sheet they suggest a possible cause could be an Air Intake Sensor. What is/where is this sensor? We cannot find it in the Haynes manual!

I wonder if anyone could give us a helping hand by clarifying if this could be it. And also if there are other items that might cause the symptoms listed above?

Any suggestions and information gratefully received!

Thanks for reading,

Tom.

P.S. Apologies for the length of this post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris m, thanks for your reply. We've been ignoring the coil - there seems to only be one on this engine - so far. I remember when one went on our old Scenic and the symptoms were similar, except a different light would come on on the dash. Is there a way to test the coil's condition without buying a replacement?

Not having much luck finding the Air Intake Sensor at all. To the rear of the manifold there's something that the Haynes manual refers to as a MAP sensor but I can't find anything on the manifold pipe itself (it's possible it's well hidden, or right in front of me but that I just can't see it!).

Thanks again,
Tom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ross459, thanks for your suggestion. The ECU wires had been damaged somehow. Taping them up improved matters a little but it was still running very very roughly.

Decided to take (and by take I mean have the car towed!) the car to the local Bosch Auto Electric place the other day. We've never used them before but they seem to have good reputation(?).

Anyway, they've thoroughly checked the car over and think that the problem lies with the ECU still. They reckon it's been damaged and is irreparable so it's looking like the engine's getting a new ECU.

Hopefully that'll sort it!

General question to anyone/everyone: does this seem like the correct course of action?

Little bit annoyed with the car to be honest. It's costing us an awful lot of money :(

Thanks again for the suggestions,
Tom.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hi randomusername0216334
i had a clio ecu that i was told was good by a ecu docter
in the end it was the ecu that was at falt
p.s
dont know how thay test them when thay are coded to the key and the uch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just though I'd update this:

Well, got the car back today with the new ECU fitted and it's running very well again. Phew :)

There's still a warning light on the dash but this has been traced back to a faulty lambda sensor. The car's going back in on Friday/Saturday to have a new one fitted. Then, fingers crossed, it'll all be sorted.

The final bill was around the £450 mark which is a lot but I think it's pretty reasonable (I was expecting £600+).

Thanks to both ross459 and chris m for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,
Just reading your posts & it appears I have a similar problem. It's been happening for around the last 2 wks.
Obviously winters come early this year & out of the blue my clio completely dies when I stop at a junction. It seemed to be fine cus I let electrics warm up for a moment before starting engine cus that's what I was advised to do in my wife's diesel.
Anyway, symbol on dash board “electronic fault and preheating warning light” (the one that l looks like zig-zags in a box with a squiggle underneath) keeps coming on during my way to work and cutting out.

Please help!!!!
How serious is this? Will it pass over & correct itself (like the self adjusting clutch) OR is a major repair looming? And most importantly how much is the likely repair gonna set me back?
Xmas is around the corner, Wifey's just given birth to our 2nd child & money's tighter than a duck backside.

Appreciate any assists

·
Registered
42 Posts
This sounds like more then something that will fix it's self im sorry to say . without having CLIP codes very hard to say why the car is cutting out . P.s is it petrol/diesel ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd been running clio since early Dec' 2010. Not a wise choice as it gradually began misfiring so booked it in at local garage yesterday & running like new now so me a happy bunny.

Mechanic replaced ignition coil only; parts & labour set me back £190. Suppose a fair price.

I'd advise if anyone has similar problems then get it sorted a.s.a.p. because it could lead to additional faults, like damaging the catalytic converter. I've been lucky sofar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts