Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have done some reasearch on the car (1.2 1999 Clio 2) and on here and found that my tensioner seems to have gone with the bearings inside it making a horrible noise.

I have started to look for new ones online and found two as shown in these links:

https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/carriage.asp

http://www.eurocarparts.com/tensioners-idlers-and-dampers

However i thought a tensioner had an 'arm' attached to it. Is this not allways the case?

If not then if i buy one of these tensioner's what size is the bolt head to get the old one off? or is it going to be easier to get the car to a garage and done there?

Thanks.
Alex

R

·
0 Posts
It would think it probably depends if you have an automatic sprung loaded tensioner or a manually adjustable tensioner?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And secondly, there has never been the option brought up in a search of an online parts store for an automatic sprung loaded tensioner or manualy adjustable one....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

It is like the one in the link. I have had another look this morning and there isnt any way of moving the alternator that i can see. Plus when i spray WD40 on what i think is a tensioner, it stops making the noise.......

R

·
0 Posts
What sort of noise is it making exactly? Does it squeal when you 1st start the engine and then gradually get quieter?

I’m not familiar with your engine but there has to be some way to adjust the alternator belt. So I would have thought the alternator will rotate about it’s mounting points to either increase or reduce the distance of the alternator pulley to the crank shaft pulley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem fixed. Turned out to be an issue with the belts. decided to replace both belts rather than wait for the other one to go wrong. all good now, however today my brakes (front) have started to make noises! got to pull them apart tommorow......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts