Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a clio 1.2 16v 52 plate

ive only had the car for about a month, and on saturday, while driving, the STOP warning light came on the dash for about 5 seconds and went back off. i also noticed that the heater is blowing cold even when set to warm.

i only know the basics and when i got home i checked to see if there was water in the water reservoir. there wasnt! there was two days earlier.

i waited for the car to cool over night and topped it up this morning and the water was draining from the water reservoir as quick as i could fill it up. the pipes all seem to be secure.

the oil is okay and not milky but there does seem to be water coming from the bottom right (p/s) of the engine.

can anyone help or tell me what they think is best. does this sound like the head gasket? no smoke from exhaust though.

thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi there have you checked the thermostat where it bolts on to the block, it has a plastic housing which is prone to cracking, about £15 to replace,it is located under the air filter housing on the flywheel end of the block cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you were spot on mate, it was the thermostat housing. the rubber seal inside had split and was losing the water. you have saved me both time and money. well happy! cheers :d

·
Registered
41 Posts
glad its sorted m8 when my thermostat leaked i was lucky i noticed the pool of water under the car before i set off, has the warning light come back on since

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i think i was lucky, i had drove a 40 mile round trip when the stop light come on near home. the stop light has gone off now and has not come back on and i've got new coolant in.

is it best to have the water/coolant mix right up to the max line, i topped up in between the min and max line. i dont think it matters to much does it? cheers mate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts