Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 52 plate Clio 1.2 16V which has recently started to have an intermittent starting problem.

This problem is weird, I can drive around for three or four days no problem and suddenly the car won't start. The problem has happened whilst hot and from cold but more offen than not the car will be hot when this happens.

When this happens I leave for five or ten minutes and the car will sort itself out and will start as normal first turn of the key.

Oh yeah, When this happens the "STOP" light comes on and will go off again as soon as the car starts after the short break.

Any idea what this could be??

Thanks,
dave.

D

·
0 Posts
Coolant temp sender would be the cheapest and easiest place to start if it's temperature related

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Sounds like a tdc sensor fault to me. Use the search function on the forums and you will find hundreds of threads about them

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a tdc sensor fault to me. Use the search function on the forums and you will find hundreds of threads about them

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
tdc sensor - is this somethin' i could do myself? £12 on a well known auction site.

D

·
0 Posts
Can do both yourself and it'll take you half hour tops to do both.

Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT) tells the ecu how much fuel to pump through the injectors, more if the car is cold, less if it's hot. The gauge will tell you nothing about whether this is working ok or not. Sensor is on the right hand side of the cylinder head (usually) on the coolant hose flange

TDC sensor is mounted on top of the gearbox bellhousing. 2 bolts holding it on. It's basically a magnetic sensor. Clean it gently with some emery cloth / sand paper / wet n dry. Don't take off any of the metal, just clean it and put it back

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can do both yourself and it'll take you half hour tops to do both.

Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT) tells the ecu how much fuel to pump through the injectors, more if the car is cold, less if it's hot. The gauge will tell you nothing about whether this is working ok or not. Sensor is on the right hand side of the cylinder head (usually) on the coolant hose flange

TDC sensor is mounted on top of the gearbox bellhousing. 2 bolts holding it on. It's basically a magnetic sensor. Clean it gently with some emery cloth / sand paper / wet n dry. Don't take off any of the metal, just clean it and put it back
i appreciate that, i'll have a look and update thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts