Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new and desperate for some advice !!!

My other half has a 1998 1.2 clio RL.

On Friday afternoon the temperature warning light came on (no temp gauge on this model) she stopped the car and allowed it to cool down,
and limped the car a couple of miles back home.

I've looked over the car, there's no fluid transfer and no leaks, so I flushed out the system inc the rad and heater, and there's no sign of any blockage..
I've installed a new thermostat, re-filled the system, and bled air form the system.
I ran the car yesterday morning, both hoses were warm and the electric fan kicked in, but the heater only got hot if I undid the bleed screw on the heater hose beneath the header tank ?
Once the screw was re-tightened the heater ran cold almost instantly ?

Today I emptied the entire system again, re-flushed the entire system, and re-filled/re-bled, this time with the cap off the header tank.
Once I was convinced the system was air-free I replaced the header tank cap.

The heater still refuses to get hot, and now the temp light has come on again ???

I did notice that when I flushed the heater system, turning the switch from hot to cold doesn't stop the water flow and I've also noticed a slight squeal from the water pump area.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, I'm running out of ideas :tumbleweed:

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum, is there signs of water leakage around the water pump. If I was to guess I would say the pump has failed and the coolant is not circulating. When you undid the bleed screw you "opened" the system so convection / pressure allowed the water to flow and the heater to get hot. The squel could be water leaking from the pump on to the belt causing it to slip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome !!

There's no sign of any leakage, and earlier in the day before it overheated she checked the coolant level, but didn't need to add any,
but I must admit my thought are leaning towards the water pump.

Both the hoses from the radiator are warm, so the thermostat look like it's doing it's job,
so I'm assuming it's pressure from the water heating/expanding the providing some circulation.

The heater will become warm only when I open the bleed screw and allow warm water to escape from the bleed hole,
but as soon as it's re-tightened, the heat disappears immediately.

I suppose the water pump is a complete pig to change ??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts