Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently got a 2005 clio 1.2 16v extreme 4. Its done 46000 miles, and iv been driving it for about 2 months.

2 days ago while driving it devolped this problem...
Driving in 1st gear is fine
Change to second and put foot on accelorater and the car starts jolting,
Change to third gear and the same problem.

But once i pick up some speed it drives smoothly.
If i drive really slowly and pick up speed slowly by very light accelorating its fine.

When i put my foot "down" a little bit then it seems to start jolting.

I could usualy take a corner in third but now when i come around a corner it will start jolting and even if i change down to second it will still do the same problem, iv noticed this is mainly flat or uphill it seems fine downhill.

Also when i start up the car and rev and then let go at the start of the rev the engine makes a hissing noise. if i keep reving its fine but when i let go of the revs and then rev again each time at the start it makes a noise.

I noticed this noise a week back but didnt take much notice of it but now the cars jolting aswel.

It is going to a garage sometime this week but what do you think the problem could be?

D

·
0 Posts
The jolting is probably either one or more coils or spark plugs breaking down (cutting out) under load, or maybe a weak fuel pump or blocked fuel filter.
Hissing noise could well be a collapsed exhaust or cat, which would also give the same feeling as above.
So either the exhaust is so knakered it's causing all the grief, or it's plugs / coil / filter / fuel pump.

There are also a few hundred other things it could be, but that's where i would start looking

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its quite a releif that it may only be spark plugs! A friend said it may be the cylinder which has got me worried!

When i got the car my father did have it serviced although we didnt get the spark plugs done and was supposed to take the car back to have them done but didnt get round to that, there going to be replaced this week.

Im not sure if the fuel filter was changed although i read there supposed to be changed yearly, if we havnt had it changed i reckon it will be in need of a change, also the car is pretty heavy on fuel hope that resolves it.

I think it could be exhaust related as lookin inside the engine bay the exhaust does look very rusty althought at the back end it looks fairly silver and good cond.

Although one thing i didnt mention is when i rev the car you can sometimes hear a vibrating noise which may be the exhaust?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the spark plugs changed, still same problem, seems a little worse to me :crazy:

Any one any idea as to what it could be? :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No that hasnt been changed yet, dad's not had chance to take the car yet.

Well i just drove the car for approx 10 miles today, and its just gotten worse...

Just noticed it was missing (i think thats the word when its shaking alot) and the revs kept droping up and down while stood still. Also noticed on the first start the revs needle goes to 1500 before slowly dropping down to about 1000 i dont know if thats normal?

I opened the bonnet and had a look the engine was shaking quite alot while making a popping sort of noise, and while it was missing it was as if it was going to turn off as the lights kept going dim.

The engine light came on and kept flashing i turned the engine off and started it again and the light went of but came back after about 5 minutes.

Went round to the back and from the exhause its making a popping noise?
I reved it and no smoke seems to be coming out and the popping noise comes back.

Should be going to a garage tommorow, im not an expert but i dont think its spark plugs or coil? What do you think it could be? :crazy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankyou for the replies.

Heres an update, Took it to the garage today, the mechanic connected the machine and got a few faults.

The fault code was p0638. He says this should be resolved by changing the coil pack, going to contact renault for one of these tommorow hopefully.

Few other things came up on his machine as i saw, destructive missfiring on cylinder 1 and again missfiring on cylinder 1 and also manifold pressure sensor he says.

He said its best to change the coil pack first and if it is not stil resolved then the manifold sensor needs to be changed.

D

·
0 Posts
GSF or Eurocarparts will be open today and have one, and it won't cost Renault prices!
Where abouts are you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Huddersfield.

I asked a local shop and they said £38.

I know theres few other shop's which im going to try now.

Also i read somewhere that renault do it for £35?

D

·
0 Posts
It's probably the pencil ones that are that price from renault.

01484 434333

Open til 2pm today

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought id update this..

So yes the jolting and rough drive was in the end down the coil pack, after replacing it problem fixed, thanks for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts