Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have had this problem for a long time now, and really need to find the answer out somehow.

Basically, the car has acelleration problems resulting in very slow gain in speed (obviously) and a maximum speed on level ground of about 68mph. The max speed of 68mph is achieved both with full accelleration applied and with half accelleration applied, its as if pushing the pedal past halfway makes absolutely no difference.

Took it to Renault who diagnosed as a wiring loom fault, and they said it needed changing, I got a new one and fitted it (very fiddly) but the car is still exactly the same.

Also, the speedo works inttemitantly, and sometimes when it works, its about 5-10mph to low.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update!!!

Okay I have now cleaned out the throttle body and cleaned the motorised throttle valve - still no better.

I have also had a look at the throttle pedal pentiometer - and that seems fine also.

I am wondering if I need a new throttle valve - is there anyway I can test this.

Any response would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi mickeybo, thanks for the response!

Apologies for the very late response, I have been ill this past week :(.

But fighting fit again I had a check of the engine code - however I am unable to locate it - on the VIN plate it doesn't say either, where can I find this?

Many thanks once again

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I am wondering if I need a new throttle valve - is there anyway I can test this.
If you turn the key on the throttle valve should fully open and then close to the idle position. Further testing will have to be done with diagnostic equipment and an oscilloscope.

The throttle body sends a signal back to the ECM to confirm it has moved the required amount. Any fault here will put the MIL on. Also the APP sensor has two or three sensors built in and if they don't match this will put the MIL up as well. Any fault can then be tested with an oscilloscope but to be honest unless you've got warning lamps on I don't think you'll have a problem here.

Have you checked basics, i.e. spark plug condition, ignition leads, exhaust not blocked, air filter clean etc?

Is it a D4F (16v) or D7F (8v)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks JimC64 - checked the website you gave and it gave me the following:

Make: RENAULT
Model-Series: X65/P3
Model: CLIO DYNAMIQUE 16V
Year: 20-03-2002
Chassis No: VF1CB05:censored:
Engine No: F081469
Fuel Type: PETROL
Engine Capacity: 1149
Power (KW): 55
Power (BHP): 75
Transmission: MANUAL
No. of Gears: 5
Body Style: 3 DOOR HATCHBACK
Cylinders: 4
Valves: 4
FWD/RWD/4WD: FRONT
TECDOC-Type-No: 16104

So it gave alot of info but not an engine number in the format mickeybo stated.

Disgusted, I changed the GCN spark plugs that were on it for genuine Renault ones the other week (the ones that came off looked fine), ignition leads are ok and air filter has ben changed the other wek also - will check now that exhaust is not blocked.

It the D4F (16v) engine.

Thanks for you comments and help.

·
Administrator
11,645 Posts
Posting your VIN number on a public forum is not a great idea, unless you would like your car cloning.

Hence Ive removed a portion of it from your post. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand what your Saying Dave and thanks for censoring the VIN.

Only thing is leaves me a bit confused - as I got all that data just from my Registration plate - so surely any dodgy peeps can just put random plate codes into this website to get lots of different car details, or just pick a car they want to clone, get registration and off they go - I guess none of us are safe - whether we post our VIN online or not - what a horrible world - oh well rant over.

Thanks again Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.